Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fog lights (of some sort?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 05:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fog lights (of some sort?)

alright, so after cleaning out the glovebox of the PO's things, i found a glass lens buried in there. turns out it fits the fog light bezels i have.

The fogs dont work. after looking at the lens, it has a kind of multicolored coating on it that i dont suspect came on the OEM ones. also judging by the... interesting wire connections nearby, id say the original bulbs blew or otherwise broke, and a PO replaced them with these... things.

I want to get some light here, and these are definitely shot. How well do the OEM fogs work? would the fog housings out of, say, a ZJ fit here and offer better performance? Im open to different beam patterns, it doesnt have to be a true "fog" beam, but i cant see mounting an LED bar or such down under the bumper.

I know in a WJ you can replace the fog bulbs with the same bulbs used for the high-beams, must be nice not having sealed beams
(sorry if this is more geared toward the modified tech forum)
Attached Thumbnails Fog lights (of some sort?)-lens-fit.jpg   Fog lights (of some sort?)-bezel.jpg   Fog lights (of some sort?)-lens.jpg  
Old 03-02-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cylinder

One of my xj fog lamp was totally shot hanging on by a thread! The other one still worked but the beam adjustment was rusted solid. The stealership wanted an outragous price for both replacements.

If you're looking for an oem replacement I got these from Morris4x4

http://www.morris4x4center.com/jeep-...herokee-xj.htm

Click on the fog light icon in the xj diagram.

They're less expensive than the stealership.
They work great and IMO better built than the oems.. no complaints.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

That location makes it easy to use an aftermarket fog light as well (lots of stuff to mount to), but if you are looking for basic fog lights I would throw in some stock replacements and call it a day.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Did the Jeep come with factory fogs? This might help.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/fac...e-them-220836/

So far so good with the fog lights I bought. Just so you know. The lenses on those are glass.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:34 PM

Based on the picture, looks like it came without oem fogs.

My xj came without oem fogs and had the dealership install oems.
The mounting holes, etc. should accomodate oem fogs minus the cabling and oem switch.

The POs wiring looks like a complete hatchet job.
Old 03-04-2017, 09:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, the build sheet says it came with fogs from the factory. has the factory switch and all. the wiring does indeed look... creative?

They didnt quite look stock to me. they seem like they are a bit small to fit in the factory spots, plus the aforementioned wiring. i wondr if the bulbs just blew for the previous owner and they bought some cheapies and wired them in since the plugs didnt match.

I guess the question now is if i get a set of factory fogs to put there, ir just see if i can use the existing wiring and switch to run, say, Hella 550s on top of the bumper. Heck theyd run about the same as the OEM set.

Anyone have a pic handy of the OEM fog beam pattern?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by RegularGuy
Yeah, the build sheet says it came with fogs from the factory. has the factory switch and all. the wiring does indeed look... creative?

They didnt quite look stock to me. they seem like they are a bit small to fit in the factory spots, plus the aforementioned wiring. i wondr if the bulbs just blew for the previous owner and they bought some cheapies and wired them in since the plugs didnt match.

I guess the question now is if i get a set of factory fogs to put there, ir just see if i can use the existing wiring and switch to run, say, Hella 550s on top of the bumper. Heck theyd run about the same as the OEM set.

Anyone have a pic handy of the OEM fog beam pattern?
Well if you want to put them right use these:

Amazon Amazon

Go to the boneyard for the connectors that look like they have been hacked. Best place to find them will be on a '98 and down Grand Cherokee. Not sure how far back though. At some point, maybe up to and including '96, they are a different type. Thing about looking for them on a Grand Cherokee is that even if it did not come with factory fogs chances are the connectors are there. Not likely on a non fog light XJ.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:19 AM

The the after market OEM style fog lights i got from Morris4x4 were roughly half the cost of the dealership. They work and fit perfectly.
They have provisions as do the original OEMs to adjust the beam up or down. Don't know about left to right.

Since your Jeep came with fogs, its just a matter of finding whats left of the original cables, spice some wires to lengthen then find the connectors to mate with the lights.

Here's a picture of the right hand light i ordered from Morris4x4. The right and left fogs are different.

Name:  fogltite_zpszdqw1omz.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  192.3 KB
Old 03-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Seasoned Member

how is the light output of the OEM style fog? is it a decent thing to get or is the money better spend on other light options?

Its my DD and maybe sees light 4x4 use once a month at this time. i live in a rural area.
Since fogs are meant to be a soft diffused light directly on the ground in front of the vehicle, i can see their use on a 4x4
Old 03-06-2017, 09:12 AM

They're noticeably brighter but then again my old fogs were 17 yrs. old.
Yeah OEM fogs are typically adjusted low. I seldom drive in fog so i adjusted the beams a little higher for better night vision.

I also live in a sparsely populated rural County. My County is deer heaven.
Two deer collisions on my XJ and one on my F150. I installed auxiliary driving lights under the bumper and pointed the beams to the sides to better see those ^%*&'n deers in the brush ready to dart across the road.

And the @#%$#$'s also drop ticks to the point i can't run my dog in my woods during Summer and they also munch on my trees.
My County needs to keep deer season open all year round.

Last edited by moparado; 03-06-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by moparado
They're noticeably brighter but then again my old fogs were 17 yrs. old.
Yeah OEM fogs are typically adjusted low. I seldom drive in fog so i adjusted the beams a little higher for better night vision.

I also live in a sparsely populated rural County. My County is deer heaven.
Two deer collisions on my XJ and one on my F150. I installed auxiliary driving lights under the bumper and pointed the beams to the sides to better see those ^%*&'n deers in the brush ready to dart across the road.

And the @#%$#$'s also drop ticks to the point i can't run my dog in my woods during Summer and they also munch on my trees.
My County needs to keep deer season open all year round.
I hear you on those dang deer! I live in SE ohio and on the property near mine, there are always roughly 15-25 of the buggers every night.

Can you take pictures of the beam patterns they throw out? the fogs and the driving lights. Im really open to either option, i suppose.

Or just get an LED Bar