Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

FML! SKIM no longer available?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default FML! SKIM no longer available?

So my jeep was broken into and they destroyed my SKIM unit trying to steal it. Luckily they gave up and left it in the driveway. But now it doesn't idle for more than 3 seconds.
I called around to the dealers with the part number and apparently they are no longer available and they have none in the warehouses.
I know it's asinine to think that the jeep in no longer mobile, indefinitely. There has to be a way to bypass or turn off the system.
the only surefire thing I read was to order a new ECM with that option NOT activated. I just hope there is another solution.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

New PCM needs to be non skim and for a 4.0 l6. Unplug old skim and PCM. Keep old PCM for milage. Plug in new PCM AFTER skim is unplugged. If you plug PCM in before unplugging skim, PCM will be locked just like your current one.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:49 PM

Well crap..... now I feel like vomiting lol. Well thanks for the info. It helps a lot. Now I know what I need to do.
Can you reprogram a used ECM from another XJ that is non skim? Or once it's programmed to a car then that's it; no reprogramming it?

Last edited by DELTA3; 07-14-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by DELTA3
Well crap..... now I feel like vomiting lol. Well thanks for the info. It helps a lot. Now I know what I need to do.
You can get 4.0 xj PCMs all day at your local junkyard. My local yard sells them for $50 a piece...
Old 07-14-2016, 10:09 PM

Awesome, now I just need one that is non skim and have it programmed to the jeep.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

I suppose it depends on how much you want SKIM, you could probably get a used skim receiver and have it programed by the dealer, but you would likely have to get your Jeep towed to the dealer (since it won't stay running without a programed/working SKIM), or you can get the SKIM receiver, PCM, key, and lock cylinder as a set used and no programing is usually needed (since all the parts are already "matched"), or as others have suggested, just delete the SKIM with as non-SKIM PCM, but that would make your Jeep more vulnerable to theft.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:17 PM

I would get a new one, but like I said, no longer available. Crappy.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

I would get a new one, but like I said, no longer available. Crappy.
Yes, but junkyards are full of them (I believe the same SKIM receiver was used by many Chrysler products from that time), working used ones should be fairly easy to come by, you'll still have to get a dealer (some dealers don't like to install/set-up used parts, but the vast majority will, as long as you are paying for the labor, especially if a part is discontinued, it is not like they are losing a sale if they can't get the part anyhow) to program it though unless you pull a full set as mentioned in my previous post.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Engine: 4.0

So my jeep was broken into and they destroyed my SKIM unit trying to steal it. Luckily they gave up and left it in the driveway. But now it doesn't idle for more than 3 seconds.
I called around to the dealers with the part number and apparently they are no longer available and they have none in the warehouses.
I know it's asinine to think that the jeep in no longer mobile, indefinitely. There has to be a way to bypass or turn off the system.
the only surefire thing I read was to order a new ECM with that option NOT activated. I just hope there is another solution.

Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

What part number did you give them for the SKIM?

The OEM part number is up to revision AF now.

http://www.moparamerica.com/oe-mopar/56009712af
Old 07-15-2016, 08:35 AM

I was given # 5003378AE

If I decide that I am no longer going to use the SKIM and I decide to just get another ECU, will a junkyard ECU work for this car as long as the specs match, minus the SKIM? That may sound like a stupid question, but there is a reason I ask it.
I have worked on and with nothing but German vehicles for the past 10 years and you can't use a used DME (ECM).
Once they are written for one VIN, they will no longer work in another car. They cannot even be reprogrammed to work in another car.

Last edited by DELTA3; 07-15-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:44 AM

he part I need looks like this.

Name:  495207img_3894.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  12.7 KB
Old 07-15-2016, 11:33 AM

Update!
So I contacted a dealer again and got a hold of a competent parts guy this time. I described what happened and he new exactly the part I was talking about. He actually described the part to me before I described it to him. He went in the back and put his hands on one just to make sure. So my local dealer has one.
I asked him to humor me, and I gave him the part number I was given by another parts guy at another dealer, and it came back as the module for the keyless entry. Even though I described the part to that guy in great detail, he still didn't get it.

Long story short, I can buy the SKIM and have it programmed and all should be well again.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Update!
So I contacted a dealer again and got a hold of a competent parts guy this time. I described what happened and he new exactly the part I was talking about. He actually described the part to me before I described it to him. He went in the back and put his hands on one just to make sure. So my local dealer has one.
I asked him to humor me, and I gave him the part number I was given by another parts guy at another dealer, and it came back as the module for the keyless entry. Even though I described the part to that guy in great detail, he still didn't get it.

Long story short, I can buy the SKIM and have it programmed and all should be well again.

What pat number does it have? 56009712AF?
Old 07-15-2016, 12:18 PM

Yes, that's the one. You were correct the first time. And actually, your initial post is what got me questioning what I was originally told, hence why I called back and tried again.
So big thanks for that.

And for the parts guy at the other dealer.... he needs to go work at McDonalds.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Yes, that's the one. You were correct the first time. And actually, your initial post is what got me questioning what I was originally told, hence why I called back and tried again.
So big thanks for that.

And for the parts guy at the other dealer.... he needs to go work at McDonalds.

He was probably fired from Autozone for being too stupid. LOL

Quick Reply: FML! SKIM no longer available?