Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fly wheel to Crankshaft alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Fly wheel to Crankshaft alignment

I'm in the middle of swapping out motors on my Jeep. A 97 cherokee 4.0 motor(blown) for a 98 TJ 4.0. The TJ had a manual trans, so I need to bolt up my flywheel and torque converter to the crank. I didnt pay close enough attention of the crank to flywheel positioning, BUT it looks like there is only one way that the flywheel will bolt of to the crank cause the bolts are not evenly spaced. Thus only 2 of the 6 will line up, so it needs to get rotated until they all line up ok

I think i answered my own question, but just double checking it before i button everything back up

You can see the "tone ring" that the crank shaft position sensor sees.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

Sounds right
Old 04-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

does the sheet metal plate go in between the block and flywheel or can it go on after the flywheel is bolted up?
Old 04-16-2010, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by tj40
does the sheet metal plate go in between the block and flywheel or can it go on after the flywheel is bolted up?
Goes between the flywheel and bolts... if you asking about the circular ring.

And yes, you answered your own first question.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Oh, your asking about the larger plates. I think you can install the upper half after.. better check. The lower goes on after the trans is on.

Also, find the lineup for the torque converter and mark both it and one of the holes in the flywheel.. makes it easier when bolting it up.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Ya can't think of the name of the sheetmetal? Its like a big metal gasket that goes between the engine and trans. I messed up my 351 engine drop in last month and I was pissed, the starter was rubbing on my flywheel (lightly like nails on a chalk board) I found what I would call a block plate hanging on the wall !!!!! I'm still mad.......
Old 04-16-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by tj40
Ya can't think of the name of the sheetmetal?
Flywheel inspection cover.

The Manual TJ had a one piece cover, my Cherokee has a 2-3 piece i think.

I originally pulled the motor out with the torque converter still connected to the flywheel. I talked to 2 very experienced techs at work and they said to put the torque converter on the trans and then loosely mate the motor to the trans, then bolt the torque converter to the flywheel. This is the safest method so I don't accidentally snap off the input to the trans oil pump.

I got the FSM on for my 99, but this is a 97, but polly the same thing,...
Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

I agree with what they are telling you. The torque convertor only bolts on one way like the flywheel did. Now is the time to line it up and mark so you dont have to try, find it wrong, rotate and try again till you get it right.

Make sure that converter is seated all the way back.. it'll drop in about three times as it's rotated.

Originally Posted by Mattpar
Flywheel inspection cover.

The Manual TJ had a one piece cover, my Cherokee has a 2-3 piece i think.

I originally pulled the motor out with the torque converter still connected to the flywheel. I talked to 2 very experienced techs at work and they said to put the torque converter on the trans and then loosely mate the motor to the trans, then bolt the torque converter to the flywheel. This is the safest method so I don't accidentally snap off the input to the trans oil pump.

I got the FSM on for my 99, but this is a 97, but polly the same thing,...
Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Oh, your asking about the larger plates. I think you can install the upper half after.. better check. The lower goes on after the trans is on.

Also, find the lineup for the torque converter and mark both it and one of the holes in the flywheel.. makes it easier when bolting it up.
I think the upper halves go on WITH the motor because there are alignment dowls on either side of the engine that go through the inspection cover. Then the smaller(drivers side bottom, 1/3 of the overall cover assembly) goes on last so that it can be taken off separately so that the flywheel and torque converter can be inspected without separating the trans and motor to look for leaks.

I'll definitly mark the flywheel and torque converter. I know is gonna be a pain to line the motor and trans up, when match up the bolt holes on the fly/converter,... Thats gonna be tomorrow fun!