Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fixing a leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Fixing a leak

I'm leaking from somewhere, possibly two places. One of them is an oil leak, towards the front. I'll have to narrow it down, but I was wondering if there's somewhere that is known for leaking that I can check. Also, I think my valve head gasket is worn out, since I think it too is leaking. My head cover is filthy, if you rub your finger over the sticker on the front, it goes from black dirt to the white sticker. I'm thinking of buying a new gasket cover, any suggestions? Or just anything that fits my XJ from an auto store?

Here's what my steering looks like quite often.
Fixing a leak-6iqmz.jpg
Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996

for the leaking valve cover, just buy a new gasket and clean the cover up. That pic is a bit difficult to see, but you are sure it is oil, or at least oil with dirt stuck to it? Seems kind of far forward for it to all be oil since it blows back, but I am not sure.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Year: 2001

Could be the filter adapter which is directly above the picture you posted. Is it more prominent on the passenger side?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

check your trans cooler line fittings.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fsher21
for the leaking valve cover, just buy a new gasket and clean the cover up. That pic is a bit difficult to see, but you are sure it is oil, or at least oil with dirt stuck to it? Seems kind of far forward for it to all be oil since it blows back, but I am not sure.
So any gasket for the XJ from the auto store works? And I've been dripping a little bit from somewhere else, which I believe is oil. I just know on a few occasions my buddies pointed out the little puddle under the Jeep.

Originally Posted by EXJAY01
Could be the filter adapter which is directly above the picture you posted. Is it more prominent on the passenger side?
I'll check that out and get back to you!

Originally Posted by rideordie66
check your trans cooler line fittings.
Will do!

Thanks guys
Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

That looks like mud caked on from where I'm sitting, not oil. You need to degrease the engine and then take it for a short drive to find out where exactly it's leaking from or you're gunna end up replacing unnecessary gaskets. And yes, you can pick up gaskets from the auto parts store. Go with Felpro brand for everything you can
Old 10-06-2012, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
That looks like mud caked on from where I'm sitting, not oil. You need to degrease the engine and then take it for a short drive to find out where exactly it's leaking from or you're gunna end up replacing unnecessary gaskets. And yes, you can pick up gaskets from the auto parts store. Go with Felpro brand for everything you can
Nah, the blacker stuff isn't mud. You can see dried on mud on the sway bar. I also washed the steering with a pressure washer after my last mud trip. I know for sure the valve cover is leaking, or is acquiring dirt from somewhere. I'll take some better pictures tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

It is either your valve cover or oil cap. If you do the valve cover job, get a blue plastic gasket. Check the rear of valve cover too.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by NorCalJeep
It is either your valve cover or oil cap. If you do the valve cover job, get a blue plastic gasket. Check the rear of valve cover too.
Would the oil be splashing out of the faulty cap? And how do I check the rear as well? Is it located somewhere else when I remove the head?

Also, while PB blasting my arms, I noticed the same type of dirt that's on the valve cover, all over the bottom of the engine, like on the alternator mount and where that's mounted to. So it's dripped down, obviously. I have to go back and check other areas. Might check my oil too, just to see if I have a bad oil leak as well.

Thanks