Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fixed overheating/running hot issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fixed overheating/running hot issue

First off, thanks for having me on your forum. I've been a lurker here for a while and have gotten loads of great info.

A little background: I've had this nagging issue with my 87 XJ in that it was running hot even without towing my boat, and would typically overheat on a hot day going up a grade. I noticed a lot of other folks here have had the same issue, so I thought I would share how I solved mine.

I had replaced a cracked flushing T, broken reservoir bottle cap, the bottle itself, installed a new radiator, and still this thing was running hot. The only things left were the thermostat and water pump to check, the latter of which was fine. The t-stat was very old, so I replaced that. Still hot. Finally pressure tested it while cold, and it turns out that there was a leaky heater control valve that prevented the system to build up adequate pressure. Once that was replaced, I can tow my 2800lbf boat and trailer on a hot day up a 6% grade and it won't even get above ~180 degrees F (gage temp).

I hope this helps some of you, I appreciate all the good info!
Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Originally Posted by Maytime
First off, thanks for having me on your forum. I've been a lurker here for a while and have gotten loads of great info.

A little background: I've had this nagging issue with my 87 XJ in that it was running hot even without towing my boat, and would typically overheat on a hot day going up a grade. I noticed a lot of other folks here have had the same issue, so I thought I would share how I solved mine.

I had replaced a cracked flushing T, broken reservoir bottle cap, the bottle itself, installed a new radiator, and still this thing was running hot. The only things left were the thermostat and water pump to check, the latter of which was fine. The t-stat was very old, so I replaced that. Still hot. Finally pressure tested it while cold, and it turns out that there was a leaky heater control valve that prevented the system to build up adequate pressure. Once that was replaced, I can tow my 2800lbf boat and trailer on a hot day up a 6% grade and it won't even get above ~180 degrees F (gage temp).

I hope this helps some of you, I appreciate all the good info!
Did you use the recommended 195 T-stat?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by Maytime
.......I can tow my 2800lbf boat and trailer on a hot day up a 6% grade and it won't even get above ~180 degrees F (gage temp).......
Something ain't right.....I'd suspect your gauge, sending unit or something electrical. Bet actual coolant temp is substantially higher under those conditions regardless of whatever temp t-stat.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by waltermitty
Did you use the recommended 195 T-stat?
Yeah that was the only one they had at the store.

Originally Posted by djb383
Something ain't right.....I'd suspect your gauge, sending unit or something electrical. Bet actual coolant temp is substantially higher under those conditions regardless of whatever temp t-stat.
It could be reading low, but it sure does seem like it is running 100% better than it was. I didn't touch anything electrical, just the mechanical components.