Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First time messing with a lift kit. Need some help :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default First time messing with a lift kit. Need some help :D

Alright well i have never messed with lift kits before so i dont really know what im doing. I would like some suggestions on what lift kits i should go for and what wheels and tires. I am going to be doing daily driving on my cherokee but im going to go mudding every now and then. I want some tires that work great for the street but work great for snow/mud as well. Also ive been thinking about getting some crager soft 8 wheels. But im not sure what size i should get and what backspacing and what the bolt pattern is. Also im on a budget right now but i would be willing to take all suggestions. As far as a lift i would love to get atleast 4.5" lift with 32" tires or a 5.5" lift with 33" tires or 35" tires. Well i dont know what else to say but thanks for any help that you guys are willing to give me and get me on the ball rolling with the jeep guys. Thanks!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 01
Engine: 4.0L I6

well, if you wanna go that big you better have some deep pockets, especially considering you mentioned your on a budget. for 35's, or even 33's in some cases you'll wanna regear. and you may or may not need an sye. and dont forget, the bigger the tire, the more they cost.
as far as brands to look at, theres quite a few.
-rusty's
-rough country
- RE
-skyjacker
-homemade
if you'll mostly be driving it on the street as your DD and not as much offroad, you may want to consider keepin it smaller, around 3" or 3.5," just my .02$ though, not trying to discourage you by any means, just suggesting. i DD my XJ and the gas mileage isnt too great, and i only have 31's. 15x7 should be fine for the wheels. in my personal experience, i felt it was better to wheel my jeep at a stock height with some recovery for a while just to get a feel for how it does offroad, and then lift it.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:17 PM

Year: 88
Engine: i6

if you lookin gto do it as cheap as possible keep an eye out on ur local craigslist postings, or on the classifides here for some used lifts or even lift parts. but that depends on ur budget. rouch country is a good brand and cheap. you can ick up a lift with new rear leafs for like 550. i would stick to a 33 or 32 and if your driving it on teh road i would look into a sye or a t case drop kit. as far as teh install... its pretty strait forward. im ur mechanically inclined it shouldnt be a problem
Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I 6

get used cuz then you have money left over for lca's,hd adj. track bar and rims and tires
Old 01-08-2009, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I 6

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-08-2009, 11:18 PM

I was thinking and i think im just going to go for a 3.5" to a 4" lift. If i got a 3.5" lift i would probably get some 31" tires. And if i went with a 4" lift i would go with 32" or 33" tires.What backspacing should i go for and what width on the rim? I was thinking maybe 15x10's but im not sure. Also what would the bolt pattern be? Im really just looking for some suggestions on what would be my best bet. You guys know alot more than me so i would appreciate if you guys would lead me in the best direction. Also if i lifted my jeep would i have to do any modification to anything? Also i have a 98 jeep limited im not sure if that makes much of a difference. I was also wondering are transmissions in XJ's good trannys? Or do they tend to break down alot? Sorry for all the questions but ive never messed with Jeeps before so i dont really know what im doing. Thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

If you go that wide with the weheels when you air down they wont flex as much. I would recommend a 8" wide wheel For anything under 33s. And You can get the soft 8's in 15x8 with 4" BS
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

no problem with the questions, you gotta start somewhere. the bolt pattern is i believe 5x4.5? as for rims, like i said, you'd be ok with 15x7 or 8 on 31's. when you say would you have to do any modification to anything, you may have to get an SYE (slip yoke eliminator), also may want a new tracbar. the tranny's are pretty solid i think, but every jeep has it's problem. also, another thing you'll wanna find out about is what kind of transfer case you have, this can be done by crawling under the keep and looking at the silver tag on the left side of the case, should say either 231J or 242J.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:35 PM

Alright so it seems like i got wheels down. I would probably be getting 15x8 inch crager soft 8's with 4" bs (that good bs?). And as far as tires im not really sure which ones would be good. What ones would you guys recommend? Also where can i get a SYE and a new tracbar? Also what transfer case should i want? Like which one is the better one. Thanks
Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 AM
CF Veteran

i'll let someone else take the tire question, i've only run a few sets of tires. you want an adjustable tracbar. first, just figure out which tcase you have. the 231 you can get a full sye, the 242 you can only do a hack n tap. a 242 you have full time 4wd so you can drive down the road in 4hi with no problem, with a 231 you cant do that, driving it too much on the road in 4hi you can mess up the chain. theres good and bad about both cases, find out what you have and go from there, it wouldnt make much sense to swap it out unless it blew up or something haha.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BreakOut
Alright so it seems like i got wheels down. I would probably be getting 15x8 inch crager soft 8's with 4" bs (that good bs?). And as far as tires im not really sure which ones would be good. What ones would you guys recommend? Also where can i get a SYE and a new tracbar? Also what transfer case should i want? Like which one is the better one. Thanks
Transfer case is personal preference. Some like full time, some don't. I prefer part time np231. Can't enjoy peel-outs without it

Go here for SYE:
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter....ce9b47e06f33b7

Cheapest you will find anywhere and pretty much identical to the advance adapter's sye. I run this and so do all my buddies in their xj.

Trackbar? Let the $$ decide for you but please avoid rusty's trackbar. It's cheap.......literally there's been too many reported incidents of it breaking so it's not worth the cheap price. I run and always will run JKS adjustable trackbar. It's super beefy and a very nice well-built trackbar. The downside is the price is $200+. Check out www.4wd.com, www.jeepinoutfitters.com, www.roughcountry.com, and www.quadratec.com and check out what trackbars they offer and pick one that fits your budget. Most of the trackbars out there do the job well.

if you are into snow and mud but want great street manners, BFG Mud Terrains. This tire has been around for decades and they got the performance down just right. It's a great off road tire that looks sweet and performs just as well, not to mention it's known to go 40k and even 50k if you take good care of them. Other great tires would be kumho KL71's, firestone destination MT's, and Cooper MT's. Check em out. I think www.summitracing.com is the best place to order tires from. Low price and shipping is either free or super low.

Last edited by muddeprived; 01-09-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

I would start by reading as many threads as you can about the lift you want and we have a tire and lift thread that is a sticky at the top that will show you just about every set up available. That thread will give you the best idea of how you want your truck to look then from there it is just getting the money a installing the lift. but there are many threads on this forum that cover it so put your reading glasses on.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L High Output

Stryker is right, a forum like this one is going to be one of your best resources in doing research on your lift. By browsing around and reading as many related threads as you can, you can learn alot from other peoles experiences. It'll help you to narrow down your search to the best possible parts for your specific needs, and maybe even save you a headache or two along the way!
Old 01-09-2009, 03:48 PM

Year: 88
Engine: i6

to decide what tires you want you need to think about what you are going to be doing in the jeep and how hard you are going to wheel it and in what kind of terrain and go from there!