Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First post!! - Front end noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0
Default First post!! - Front end noises

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum. I recently purchased an 87 Wagoneer Limited. All stock, 182,000 miles, pretty cood condition, runs like a champ. Bought it off a drunk redneck for $500. This is my first xj and so far i really like it but it has a few issues.

The thing thats bothereing most is a loud noise coming from something on the front axle. I only hear it at low speeds when turning sharp. The rate of the sound/squeak seems to match the rotations of the wheel so I assumed it was a u joint but i checked em out and they seem fine. Not sure what else to check. Bushings? Bearings? Also sometimes when i hit a large bump at speeds over 30 or so I hear a clunking sound. It definately needs shocks but idk if thats whats causing the clunk sound. O and i have had the pleasure of experiencing death wobble twice in the 3 weeks.

Other than that the power windows need work. The sound system is getting replaced and it needs a headliner. After thats taken care of I'd like to lift it enough to put 31"s on it.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

For the death wobble read this; http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...bble+explained. If you can fix the DW you might just fix the clunk and other noises. Rotational noise comes from thing that rotate, bearings, U-joints, Differential and Brakes. Clunks usually from thing that go up and down, side to side, or twist, TREs, ball joints, track bars, shocks, bushings.

From your description you are about to go on the Epic Jeep Quest. Try to find the problems BEFORE you start replacing things. When you think you found the problem and fix it, 2 more problem will arise. It is after all a 23 year old Jeep. Try not to fall into the Just Empty Every Pocket chasing problems, there will be enough of that from the inevitable modifications you new found disease will required be done.