Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First Post on the Forum

Old 03-27-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default First Post on the Forum

Good morning, my name is Richard and I just purchased a 2000 Cherokee Sport. This is my first "real" SUV so I'm learning the terminology. I really like the vehicle and I can't believe the torque the 4.0L 6-Cylinder has compared to comparable market. We looked at a lot of Grand Cherokees but I really couldn't find one that I liked. When I drove the Cherokee Sport, I knew this was it and the price was right at $5,200 with 150k miles. From what I read though, these engines are tanks, no timing belts, and last forever. This particular vehicle was definately babied as every bit of maintenance appears to be complete and the engine is really clean.

1. First order of business was to put on a tow hitch. I chose a Class III so I wouldn't have any trouble pulling my 3,500lb boat. Boy was that a task getting the bolts into the existing threaded holes. I sprayed them with PB, but that only helped a little. I had to use an 18" breaker bar to get them in, but it's there for life now.

2. Next I am getting a check engine light "evap system leak very small". I tried to tighten the gas cap but it came back. Then I started tracing the vacuum lines and I found a broken off plastic line going into the passenger side fender well. I'm not sure where it was going, but I capped it off and fixed a nice vacuum leak causing a low idle as well. Hopefully this fixes that problem.

3. Can anyone identify what is in this picture. This line has a plastic cap, but it is just floating. I couldn't feel any vacuum with the engine running, but should I cap it off air tight?

Thanks again in advance. I love these forums and I think I'm going to love this Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails First Post on the Forum-jeep-hose.jpg  
Old 03-27-2011, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Number 3 is the front differential breather.
As for the vaccum line that may have gone to the ac system or vac reservoir. Does the AC/Heater work correctly?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:54 PM

Should I leave the line as is?

The heater works fine, but AC is marginal. It does engage though.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Congratulations on your new XJ!

If you didn't already know this, unless it has been changed out, you have the 0331 head from the factory. This head has a history of cracking, especially with an overheat.

Certainly not all 0331 heads will crack, but this forum and others are filled with threads from owners that have experienced it.

The #1 symptom of a cracked 0331 head is "unexplained coolant loss". You need to commit this symptom to memory and every time you open the hood, verify that the coolant in the reservoir is at the proper level.

If at any time, you start using coolant and you cannot find a leak with a comprehensive search, you need to be proactive and look for a cracked head. If this head cracks, you start burning coolant with the oil and that makes quick work on ruining the engine bearings.

Be sure that your cooling system is top notch. Radiator, water pump, hoses, fresh coolant, 195 degree thermostat, fan clutch. You do NOT want to overheat this engine!

Just trying to save you some heartache, should you be an unlucky 0331 head owner.....
Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 PM

Year: 1994 sport 2dr
Engine: 4.0 ho

dont cap that line off its the breather tube for your front differential. needs to breathe to allow for expansion of fluid as it heats up
Old 03-28-2011, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the info everybody, I'll keep an eye on coolant level too. I think I fixed the CEL with the vacuum leak, but I'm still not sure what the purpose of that line was. Maybe just emissions.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

no2 was the line you capped going towards the battery area could go to vacuum ball
Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

Welcome. At least your engine compartment looks clean.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:54 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 renix 4.7 soon to drop back in

welcome from alabama !!!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
no2 was the line you capped going towards the battery area could go to vacuum ball
I looked in there and no vacuum ball, somebody must have removed it which is weird. There doesn't seem to be any front end damage to the frame so I don't know why. Capping off the line doesn't seem to have disabled anything. The A/C and heat still work and it doesn't have cruise control. Anyway, the fault has not returned in weeks.

I do now have another fault, Cylinder 3 misfire. I read that this is very common due to the engine baking after idling for a while and that's when it occurred. I reset the code and wrapped the injectors in heat shield. We'll see if that works.

Other than that, it's been a great vehicle so far. I always expect small problems like this with used vehicles, especially since it has 157k miles and I paid $5,200.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:55 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Welcome to the forum
Since you'll be towing I'll suggest a transmission cooler, they're not expensive 40- 70$ and will prolong the life of trans/ fluid and components. Straight forward assembly adds peace of mind.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5L

Welcome to CF
Old 04-09-2011, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by carhopper
I looked in there and no vacuum ball, somebody must have removed it which is weird. There doesn't seem to be any front end damage to the frame so I don't know why. Capping off the line doesn't seem to have disabled anything. The A/C and heat still work and it doesn't have cruise control. Anyway, the fault has not returned in weeks.

I do now have another fault, Cylinder 3 misfire. I read that this is very common due to the engine baking after idling for a while and that's when it occurred. I reset the code and wrapped the injectors in heat shield. We'll see if that works.

Other than that, it's been a great vehicle so far. I always expect small problems like this with used vehicles, especially since it has 157k miles and I paid $5,200.
kool