Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

first post, first prob. 98 electrical gremlins!

Old 09-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default first post, first prob. 98 electrical gremlins!

ok so I just picked up a 98 4.0l auto transmission cherokee. She is rough to say the least. In the first 24 hours she has left me stranded twice. Just got in from a nice hike back to the house. Anyway here is what she is doing. Last night I was stuck in traffic at a wreck so I turned her off. When traffic started moving she wouldnt start. No click at the starter, nothing. The guy who I bought her from told me to check the fuses as he had had this happen before but thought he had fixed it by replacing a relay or something that had to do with the nuetral switch or indicator. I was planning on lurking awhile before having to learn most of its quirks. lol. Anyway, it was the 30 amp maxi fuse which I replaced and rove fine with all day today. went into the grocery store and came out to the same problem. Not a big deal I thought so I popped the hood and pulled out the fuse. But it was good. wtf! now Im confused. so I stared at the engine like a big dummy not knowing what to do. then I noticed a ground strap corroded in half on the firewall. Could something this simple be the problem?
Looks like Im gonna need some help with this one. I know nothing about jeeps so any reference pages or a helpful walk thru for dummies would really be appreciated. Thanks guys!
Old 09-26-2011, 01:00 PM

should have mentioned that radio and all electrics work fine, battery holds charge. Not sure what to start looking at. thanks!
Old 09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

I would be willing to bet you have a NSS (neutral safety switch) problem. It can be cleaned up and reinstalled.

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-...ty-switch-nss/

Oh and meanwhile if it acts up.... shift into neutral and try to start it again.

Welcome to the forum
Old 09-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by razor02097
I would be willing to bet you have a NSS (neutral safety switch) problem. It can be cleaned up and reinstalled.

http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-...ty-switch-nss/

Oh and meanwhile if it acts up.... shift into neutral and try to start it again.

Welcome to the forum
thanks for the link. I'm almost positive that is what was just replaced. So if I place the shifter into neutral it might start? that would be great if I could get it back to the house. would suck to have to get it towed 2 miles.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 98 4.0 I6

if a ground is corroded in half, start by reparing that!
Old 09-26-2011, 05:31 PM

Just went back to the jeep. It wont crank in neutral and tne back up lights come on when the jeep ison in neutral. Someone said the grounding strap wasn't the main strap so iy should crank. Im not sure what to check after replacing the strap. Any tips?
Old 09-26-2011, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

The NSS isn't adjusted correctly which will cause big problems!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by razor02097
The NSS isn't adjusted correctly which will cause big problems!
What's the nss? How much do I adjust it correctly? Anywayy to get it cranked so I don't have to do this in a rainy parking lot tonight?
Old 09-26-2011, 06:40 PM

ok got the info for the nss rebuild and how to jump the pins in a pinch. I tried starting it in every gear and no luck. Ill go try the nss bypas and then we can go from there i guess.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:34 PM

Ok tried shifting through the gears several dozen times. Wont start in any gear. Found the nss terminal and jumped the two black wires by putting a safety pin through them which was kinda hard since the wires were so small. Still wouldn't start. Reverse lights didn't light up wwhen the jumper was on the wires. Im pretty sure its not the nss. I went to autozone and got a new grounding strap wasn't but it doesn't look long enoughl its pouring rain outside so I might put off replacing the strap till tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

For the symptons u described I would check/change the crank positioning sensor. When it goes bad. The jeep will act as u describe.

The following should be done if u noticed ur headlights were fluttering while driving.

Start with battery terminals. Check the ground that goes from the bat to the coil from the coil to the starter. Then check the grn strap from the valve cover to the firewall.
If any of them have rust,oil or grease on them it will make the contacts crappy.

Also at the fuse box on the pass side. Take all these spots that I mentioned...take them apart. Wire brush them completely. Then when u put them back together make sure u use dialectric grease on all the terminals. Make sure u disconnect the battery for safty.

I jst went through this last week. With fluttering headlights. I did all the above and its been good.

Last edited by OEJ; 09-26-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:15 PM

ok, went back to the jeep this morning and pulled the 30 amp fuse for the ignition again, just to double check as the PO had told me to make sure as he had a hard time seeing the burnt fuse and he was correct. It was a tiny break in the fuse but just enough. I could barely see it. I put in a 40 amp fuse and she cranked right up. I'm hoping replacing the grounding strap will fix the problem, but I guess we will see. It seems to blow about every 5th crank or so. Also the check engine light comes on and off intermittently, but that could be anything. I'll update the thread in case anyone else has the same problems. I'm praying the strap fixes it and I dont have to go chasing wires around the ignition system. Anyway, to get the strap off the engine case is a total PITA, seems as if I dont have the right size 18mm wrench or socket to get to it. I think a stubby wobble ratchet wrench would be perfect to get it off. We'll see.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:51 AM

update:

I have driven this thing all over gods creation and back with multiple cranks and everything works fine with the 40 amp fuse. This is telling me there is a surge when cranking that is enough to blow the 30 amp fuse every once in awhile but not the 40 amp fuse. I still havent been able to put on the engine to firewall grounding strap as I didnt have the right wrench or socket to get to it but picked one up at northern yesterday. Gonna put the strap on then put the 30 amp back in. I have noticed it seems to pull a little harder to start every once in awhile. I believe this is the culprit as I read that the grounding strap is there to help facilitate starts especially in cold weather. Anyone know for sure? will running a 40 amp blow out something else? I wouldn't run a 50 in place of a 30 but i figured a 40 instead of a 30 I might be safe.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

you could possibly burn something up eventually with the 40 amp fuse in there...the circuit it is protecting is rated for 30 amps or below....one of my instructors years ago used to say that fuses were made to keep the smoke in the wiring....lol