Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First Mods

Old 10-06-2009, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO I6
Default First Mods

I plan to modify some factory front bumpers for my recently aquired XJ. I have the factory bumpers but the front was cut down to just wider than the unibody rails, leaving no protection for the grille. I want to get another front bumper, which is hard to find it seems, and use the shorty bumper I have to widen it to be as wide as the body since they are a few inches short on each side with the plastic ends removed. I will box the ends front and back and cut the front so that it angles up on the bottom to be about an inch tall near the edge of the body since the fenders have been cut even with the grille. I also want to recess some off-road lights into the front and back bumpers. Has anyone done anything like this? I would love to see some pics to see what it may look like. I looked at about a dozen Cherokees at the yard and only one still had the bumper, and it was all jacked up. Didnt find nothing I needed.

I am also bed-lining the entire floor with Duplicolor roll-on truck bed coating and fixing a few holes in the floor. I want to buy some of the molded rubber liners for the floor boards afterwards and I found the ones on Quadratec but they are $70 a set, front or back. Has anyone found anything cheaper.

I will also be doing the bastard leaves to get the rear end back level with the front. Need about 1.5-2" probably. Havent measured yet.

Just ran across the Lebaron hood vents and I may do this mod too. I dont know why these things run so hot but even with a HD rad, 160 stat, and a new pump, it still runs at 200-220 in traffic. May find a small pusher fan in the yard to run infront of thew rad to an axillary switch.

Edit: Looked at my pic and remembered. I want to find one of the factory swing out tire carriers. I hate how the tire is just stuck up on the roof. It wont fit in the back. But i've only seen them on a few Cherokees.

Heres a pic of where it stands now.

Last edited by 84supersport; 10-06-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:14 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO I6

Has no one on here ever modified the factory bumpers? Also, how does the factory tire swingouts mount? Dont really want to drill into the body.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

youll prob be drillin into the body and just buy the moded bumpers