Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First Jeep Cherokee(ahem...XJ! :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default First Jeep Cherokee(ahem...XJ! :)

Hi Guys.

I Posted on here a while back but for one reason or another have not made any since. I have however been Jeep Mad since last time....

To Recap
I live in Scotland, and for round about 3 months out of the year we get pretty bad snow, well realistically its a very tiny amount, but we all complain none the less...Anyway I thought I would get myself something that would get me and my Partner around, she’s also a nurse so its important she gets to work.

I just so happened to come across a Jeep Cherokee, which belonged to a friend of a friend. I had a look at it at it and it looked pretty shabby, needed some care given to it, but hell, It was only £400, a total bargin really. I took it and that was that... Now its a 4.0liter, which I guess to you guys is pretty small!!!!Hehehe( WTF?lol) but over here is pretty big,a beast really.... Now I know that you guys may not believe this, but over here and in other pretty rubbish nations in our vicinity we mostly use fuels other than Petrol(GAS) a sin really, but that`s another topic haha. ( joke really, I know in reality both engine types have qualities in their own right) We mostly use this less refined form of crude oil called Diesel, basically crap petrol..

Since I got the Jeep, which was originally JUST for the winter, I have never stopped driving it, got rid of my car which is a 08 plate(was lol), had loads of work done to it, and spent nearly any free time I have doing something to it.. I have always been someone who takes care of my cars, but now its just a joke, I in all truth love my XJ... I know that other Jeep drivers will understand, but I have been completely converted by this car.... All the rubbish around me made in god knows where and by what machines, made in the last few years, barely even compares to my muscle American built tank from 16 years ago, yet its still going strong...

The XJ I have has 73K miles
Its a 1996 Model
4.0Ltr Chrysler Build Engine type(HO)

Next project kicks off tommorow, a few weeks ahead of shedule.... I was wndering if I could get some advice?

I wont be doing the work, but I will by helping. We are planning on changing my front Axle with a better condition one from another Jeep we have. I was wondering if you have any advice or links which would maybe make the quest a bit easier.. Thanks again.. Jeep On.

Jamie
Jamie
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum
Old 12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered Users

Any D30 axle from a cherokee will fit. Bolt right in and go.
Make sure you check the axle ratio. There should be a tag on the front diff cover, if not then..
4.0 with a auto trans = 3.55 usually, but could have 3.73 if its got the tow package..
4.0 with a manual trans - 3.07.

But if the rig has under 80k, then I'd just pull your axle and clean it up. Degrease it, scrub it clean..whats the issue with it?
You could replace you huds & brakes while your at it..Unless theres a major issue, I'd keep your axle and clean it up.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Thanks Kamaran....

In regards to the Axle... At the moment I have some play in the UV joints and possibly some other issues.

My long time trusted mechanic for other motors, suggested that although we could replace/refurbish the UV joints, he reckons he would find it easier to connect a new axle... Im not familiar with this so I have no idea. He also seems to think that the new axle is in better condition, and would stand the test of time better... Also dont know if this newly developed problem may be related?

Just this morning while in 4 WD I notice when braking the left front brake seemed to engage first and pulled me sharply to the left?? This doesnt happen in Rear wheel drive luckily or It would have rendered her undrivable really

. Im Hoping... Fingers Xd..... the Axle change will sort this too?

Oh BTW Do you have any Idea how long it should take to remove and put on the new axle?
You have any opinions on that or any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch

Last edited by JamiesJeep; 12-01-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Registered Users

Yup grabs some penatrating lube..WD40, PB blaster..Spray everything liberally for a day or 2..it'll make it much easier to remove!

I can drop my front axle in about 15 minutes..although I've done it 20x nows lol. Shouldn't take more than an 1hr for a first timer. Go in steps/
1: driveshaft
2: wheels
3: calipers/brakes
4: upper control arms
5: lower control arms

Uppers always ocme out easier when I do them first..also replace the bolts on the uppers. You will find that hey are a stupid HEX bolt. Just buy new bolts & nuts that match the length & diameter of the old ones..that way you have a normal bolt vs the HEX that can strip..much easier for future reference!!

Your saying your axle shaft ujoints have some play? How does your pinion feel?
Jack her up, pull the wheels and inspect, and if you can take pictures of the things you have questions about or what you think is wrong? I personally think swapping a complete axle isn't the best thing unless you have a bad pinon bearing/seal or issues with the ring & pinion.
Your axle only has 73K on it..its still a baby lol. If you could get pictures, or even better describe the issues, then we could give a better judgement..Just remember, swapping another axle could give you another problem..like the other axle having its own issue!
Get some pics, or give us some more info..if your axle shaft u joints have play, then you can swap shafts in a matter of minutes..no need to change a whole axle for that!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:11 PM

Okay, right I see. Im really glad I asked. I will find it difficult to jack her up at mo, but can take some pics with one wheel off and jacked up?
on the one side?

Just researching what a pinion is and how else I might tell it is bad/ has play other than whipping the wheels off, for a troubleshoot diagnostic. So I`ll need to get back to you on that, not sue if mine is bad.

Im due to get the axle done tommorow, Id hate to think I was jumping the gun, so I may have to put that on hold...

These are the issues, and symptoms:

When car is jacked up and front wheels turned clockwise, then counter or vice versa there is have play, there is no side to side or lateral play as far as I can tell.

Generaly any reversing or accelerating sharply/ braking while in 4WD causes clunking as you would imagine...

There is also a squeek when turning near full lock, and sounds like a old wheel barrow.... squeak...pause squeak.. and seems to be speed controlled.

I also should add a few months back I had trouble getting between 4wd and 2wd, and drove for around 2 mins with the most god aweful noise you have ever heard... I assume would be things "touching each other".

I also get this crazy sound while in 4 LO that sounds like I have a Supercharger? I have only use it once for arond 30secs due to this, it sounds like a belt whinning or something..

And today, I noticed that in 4wd, (which I have not used for a few weeks)
that when braking the left side seemed to engage first and or harder and caused me to pull to the left side...Quite scary actually as I was doing around 40mph and slowing down at a roundabout(its a stupid european thing btw haha.

Sorry for belting the questions at you guys, feel free to only chip away at my questions..

Thanks again
... your time is appreciated.

Jamie

Last edited by JamiesJeep; 12-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Moved to OEM tech.

Build section is for documenting ongoing build progress. Not for questions.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:31 PM

I think this would be more suited to Builds, as I am planning on loading on all the OEM pics I had from when I got the Jeep, to what it is now. I have been doccumenting/ taking pics of these Mods/ Replacements for the sole reason of putting it on here..Hence the title.

Please could you pop in back.

Thanks.

Jamie
Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM

...then again Im a newbie... so maybe not.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Registered Users

Sounds like an axle swap isn't fixing this issue! Hold off for sure bud..lets get you pointed in the right direction. Then you can do what needs to be done!
First thing we need pics & even a video or 2. of the whole front setup..Pull the wheels and get us some clean, clear pics! If you can take videos grab on to everything and film it..shake the stuff, try to move it..find out whats moving and what shouldn't be!
Take pictures of the tie rod ends, the axle u joints, everything!

Second is your cherokee stock? Like no lift and stock tires? 215/75/15 or 225/75/15?

The slop your talking of..are you talking like you have slop in the steering wheel? The slop and clunking are common symptom of worn tie rod ends, and even worn control arm bushings!
So those need to be checked! Usually you can just look at the bushings with a flashlight and see if they are bad! If so replace them, if you were thinking of doing a lift then now may be a good time cause once you lift he jeep you'll need longer control arms..my point is you may be wasting money on bushings for arms that you may not use for much longer!!
Check your TRE's, you have 3 tie rod ends, 1 at each end of the axle and 1 at the pitman arm! Check to see if they are good..chances are they are bad. You can buy tie rod ends at any parts store for 11 or 12 bucks each.

Your hubs can also be the culperate. They will clunk, grab or drag..which could be what caused the jeep to veer to the left. Honestly you need to pull your tires and check it out.
Again think it through..swapping axles could have the same effect..as in your getting used parts that could fail with in 500 miles and you'd be back at square 1. My vote goes for spending some time on checking thinks out, finding whats wrong and replacing it. I'd rather spend a few bucks, get new parts with a warranty vs old parts that could break at anytime!

Can you pull your diff cover? If so pull it drain the fluid and inspect the gears and everything! You can clean them up by spraying them with a can or 2 of brake cleaner. If all looks good seal up the diff cover and give it some new fluid!
If somethings wrong in there then swap the axle

Heres what I've learned...Jack the car up. Place your hands at 6 & 12 on the tire while its still bolted to the vehicle and shake it with a little force..there should be little to no play, very minor play..very little bit is ok.
If theres more than that, then you have a bad wheel bearing/hub. This is probably the reason you get the groan, clunk and jerking your getting.

Heres a video to help you!
Old 12-01-2011, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Again, the build section is not for questions. Its for documenting what you have done.

Ask your OEM (original equipment, IE stock parts) questions here.

Any questions you have about modifying your Jeep beyond replacing stock parts go into Advanced Tech.

When you want to post your pics and document what you have done, feel free to start a build thread.

And just a suggestion from a seasoned member, break up individual questions into separate threads. Post your questions with as much info as possible, with AS FEW words as possible. People tend to skip over long-winded paragraphs.

For example, I have read one question of your in all this. Yes, I have read it all, but only one jumped at me. Your brakes pulling.

Moat likely its just a bad caliper or unevenly worn pads. Easy, cheap fixes.

If you'd title a thread 'brake pull to one side' I bet you'd get tons of help.

And I'm trying to be friendly here, so please don't take this the wrong way.

Last edited by Gee oh Dee; 12-01-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Aknowledged Gee

And thanks a bunch Kamaran, really appreciate your time for that.... I certainly will hold of and put my mind on Trouble shooting these out.

I`ll get some pics tommorow when its light here ,with the car on axle stands, and get wiggling and shaking stuff!

I can settle for using 2wd for now anyway, theres no problems there in regards to the braking...

.Does the fact that there is significant play in the UV joint mean that I will be doing more damage, and presenting myself with a danger in a short term sittuation?? Or can I afford to run my rig still, and fault find over the next week and get the stuff sorted? Or could I knock something loose and end up dukes of hazzard style? I dont do and when I did its nothing like you guys lol, not even close, just a country lane with grass and a few puddles... Hence I dont mind having a Sport, which is low rather than lifted.. Although those rock crawler ones you guys do look aweseome...

I reckon it would cost a fortune for me to get it done, like 4 ", I prob want to keep my current tyres too as I just got them.. DOnt know if that would be any good, Im guessing not,, tad unstable... Im running 225/75/r15

Cheers
Old 12-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Registered Users

Well your hubs could litterally lock up which has happened in the past!
Its honestly just to hard to tell over the internet. I would personally keep it off any major highways, and keep it down to short trips..nothing to fast or to far just to be safe!

I don't mind help at all bud! Thats what the jeeping community is about! I try to help whenever possible.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM

welcome from ole blue
Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM

Cool thanks for that, great advice. Going to keep the driving to a minimum then, maybe try borrowing my dads car till Ive got this sorted.. I dont mind working on the jeep, I should really get another motor, so when something goes wrong I can fix her properly, they just keep going and going if looked after..

* theres no play whatsoever in the steering wheel I know that much. I`ll make some vids, and hopefully I`ll get some good footage and identify some issues..*

I really dont think of the jeep as I did with any other vehicles Ive had, its got its similarities to my old MTX bike( an RM125 lol :P) in as much as it triggers the same feelings towards it... I wash it, then I wash it more, and if it gets dirty or slighty dusty, il do it again, I just dont mind. Its a crazy thing, I always like my cars, but this Jeep transcends that, its a kind of freedom thing or summat, once a Jeeper always a Jeeper I say...

Jamie

Last edited by JamiesJeep; 12-01-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Quick Reply: First Jeep Cherokee(ahem...XJ! :)