Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First Jeep 4x4 - Please advise on shifting procedure for Command Trac 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 95
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default First Jeep 4x4 - Please advise on shifting procedure for Command Trac 4WD

Hi,

I have just purchased my first jeep, and I would love some advice from you guys regarding some technical issues. I think your website is great, and I have already learned a lot of information.

I would like some advice on two issues

1. What is the best way to engage the 4WD while in the highway traveling 30 mph in the pouring down rain. I was hypergliding a lot today and I did not like it. I have a Command - Trac 4 WD (according to the diagram in my manual) and I do not know how to use it correctly. I grinded the transfer case pretty hard today. After the transmission was put back into 2WD, the truck made it back to NY.

2. What are the best (reasonably priced) all season tires that will handle very well in the rain. I am purchasing a set next week. I saw some good reviews for Good Year Assurance Triple Treads P235 75 15s, if this sounds right let me know. Wet road handling is my most important issue.

For a bit of info and me and my new project:

I bought a 1995 4.0L XJ auto w/ 166K for $500. The engine is a bit sluggish, but I'm working on that. This is not only my first 4x4, but my first vehicle in 9 years (occup: architect / loc. NYC). Although the history is questionable, the engine runs well and the transmission seems to be working all right.

I would like to use this as an immediate family vehicle, and ultimately, as a toy for getting out of the city.

So far I have changed:
oil and filter,
spark plugs / wires / dist cap / rotor
rear shocks
Checked transmission fluid (pink and full, once I added a quart)
Added coolant / brake fluid
windshield / wipers
checked air filter, seemed very clean / new

Over holiday (next week)
I will:
Purchase 4 new all season tires (about 150 a tire if possible)
change fuel filter
front shocks
transmission filter and drain and add new fluid
front brakes / rotors

After the spark plugs were replaced and all then new lubes added, it is working much better than before, but still a bit sluggish for a 4.0 liter engine. I'm guessing its the age. If you have any tips on pepping up the engine, please let me know.

Much obliged:
Old 12-16-2009, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Well, your Command-Trac transfer case is for part time use only. Engage it only on very slippery surfaces (mud/snow), not rain. Driving it on hard surfaces will damage the transfer case chain and other parts.

Although it's said to be a "Shift on the Fly" transfer case I always to the following:
To engage it: STOP, put the trans in neutral and pull the TC shifter back into 4HI (good for 99.9% of the situations you'll likely need) or 4LO, then just put the trans in drive and go. I just reverse the aforementioned to disengage.

BGF All Terrain tires are very good and popular, but nothing beats a Mud Tire in mud.

Run some Lucas or Sea Foam fuel injector cleaner through your system for a couple of tanks and clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner only and a toothbrush. I'd also drain and refill the transfer case as running it on hard surfaces may have caused the chain to wear and stretch leaving metal particles suspended in the oil which causes more wear.

Good luck with your Jeep