Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

first the clock, now the door locks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default first the clock, now the door locks!

Lets start off in the beginning of this issue (I think) Well, in order to get the fog light switch back into the dash on my 90 xj back in, I removed the dash cover. In the process I decided to wire 2 LED light strips to the fog light switch itself just for some interior mood lighting. As I was putting the dash back together, voila the clock doesn't light up anymore. Bummer.

Now fast forward a few months. I go to lock my jeep with the power lock switch. Nothing. I wiggle it and it goes. Then over time it stops completely on the driver side. Well the other day, the passenger switch stopped working as well. It only unlocks the actuators on all doors (2 doors and hatch). Also when I started it one day, the little overhead compass was completely lit up in a sort of alien looking scheme.

Basically I feel as if my electronic parts in the jeep are on a slow decline, and in this heat w/o air, I sure don't wanna lose my windows!!! (Actually the passenger side didn't go down yesterday after work, then later that night it did! Both driver and pass switches seemed to do nothing)

Do y'all think the LEDs are the root of the issues? Or is it age-related.

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2012, 05:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Age related, take a volt meter, and start checking to see where you lost power in the drivers door window switch. Odds are it is in the wiring going through the rubber sleeve between body and door. The wires seem to break there, from the door being opened and closed.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM

Yea, that's what I'm thinking, esp after bending the door the wrong way in a wind-storm/fence collision incident.... I will check it when i get home from work tonight and will tell y'all what I find.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:49 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4L inline 6 cylinder

One of the door locks in my Jeep needs a lot more force to unlock it so it takes 3-5 pushes on the unlock switch to unlock it with the last push I have to hold it for 5-10 seconds.
Unless its dead and it doesn't even make the lock/unlock noise then look for electrical.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by AdamG8GXP
One of the door locks in my Jeep needs a lot more force to unlock it so it takes 3-5 pushes on the unlock switch to unlock it with the last push I have to hold it for 5-10 seconds.
Unless its dead and it doesn't even make the lock/unlock noise then look for electrical.
Yea it did that at times, but anymore i can move the switch however i want it doesn't make even a peep... as for the passenger side, it only unlocks when i jiggle the siwtch... so the actuators are getting power from that one switch and unlocking with no problem, or sluggish response...