Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Finally pics of new Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Default Finally pics of new Jeep

Finally got some pics of my Sport-O. I have only had it for 4 days and its alreay becoming a challenging relationship. Its a 94 w/ 143k on it. It was a 2 owner and came w/ complete maint history from day one. Nice but I have still dumped some $$ in the following:

Oil/filter
Air and Fuel filter
Plugs, cap, and rotor
Tranny drain and fill
CD player

I have also had some nice suprises. Noticed the passenger floor was damp and pulled the carpet tonight to take a peek, everything is SOAKED! Its definately water, dont know how long its been there as there is no surface rust at this time. Dont know where its coming from, thought maybe AC drain line was clogged, but mine appear to not have the drain line, just a fitting that comes out of the firewall apprx .5" (anyone know anything about this?)

Was changing the plugs tonight and somehow managed to crack the heater control valve (barely touched it, what a piece of crap )

Anyway, here is the Jeep. Let me know your thoughts on the water issue, not cool.....
Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2009, 05:11 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Nice Jeep. That heater control valve gets kinda delicate and brittle over the years, the Cherokee has the drain for that heater box on some models and not on others I am led to believe. Mud gets in and clogs them up too. Other than that no real thoughts on your wet floors. Sry.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

nice jeep... i had to do the same thing with mine. test drove mine, felt like it needed an alignment and it knew it needed a couple very inexpensive small things for it to pass inspection. about $1500 later i finaly got it through. it needed a new:

- NSS
- trackbar
- alignment
- wheel stud
- 2 motor mounts
- tranny mount
- oil/air filter
- plugs/wires
- cat. converter

runs like a top now.

as for your water on the floor issue- have you looked at your door seals? seal around your windshield? i also noticed i have some rust starting under the paint above my windshield on the drivers side. im not messing with it. but for my jeep being 14 years old- door seals are my next issue im addressing.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:31 AM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 cylinder

Looks good from the pics. I just purchased my first Cherokee. Its a 95 grand laredo. I didn't pay much for it but it has front end damage. I have to replace the Header Panel, Headlights, Bumper, and right fender with a little bend in it. then just your usually maintenance replacements.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I 6

when is it going in the garage?
Old 01-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by wicked_xj
when is it going in the garage?
Its been in there next to the other inline 6 powered rig.

M-Power!
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

dont know about the water, but it may be your heater core. not sure if it is under the dash on the cherokee, but was on my old 89 gmc jimmy. i understand you say it's definitely water, but if the previous owner ran water only in the radiator, it would be water on the floor. i would check and see if you have anything in the radiator and if so, what is it? is it water or mix? if water, would check that. just my two cents, but could be wrong if the heater core is not under the dash on passenger side. oh well. good luck.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I feel your pain about the Heater Control Valve. Bro. Plastic POS!!! It will cost you $35 bucks for a new one a Schmucks. My Autozone guy gave that "XJ parts question" look when asked about it. The new one will be plastic, as well. When I bought my first one I was hoping somebody had come up with a metal replacement but, no joy. Be careful when installing the new one. You have to find that VERY FINE line between tight enough for the hoses not to leak and too tight and the D*** thing cracks on you.

If the water on the floor smells sweet like Anti-Freeze, I'd look for a heater core leak. If it just smells like regular old water, I'd look for a leak around the door and door windows.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:56 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

have you checked the cold air/fresh air intake area, maybe a poor seal, or a clogged vent/drain. possible. just another thought to confuse you even more.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Has it rained heavily recently? Have you looked at your door seals? Mine are missing on the top, and when I go thru the car wash or when it rain hard it leaks into my Jeep.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Where exactly is the cold air/fresh air area? Is this a common spot for leaks?

Rain in Oregon.......

We actually had like 12 inches of snow. I am sure it was piled on top of the Jeep for a week until it finally melted off.

I checked the carpet this morning after running a fan under it all night, still super wet. Decided to yank the carpet and let it dry in the garage. Put the seats and console back in so I can be patient in my leak hunt. Doesnt look to bad w/o carpet.....

I did notice a few drips after I cleaned the engine off after replacing that heater control valve. Seemed to be coming from behind the heater box.

I am pretty sure its not antifreeze, the coolant in the radiator, etc is very green and somewhat new. The stuff inside is clear and odorless (except the stale, stagnent smell.

Any other thoughts or places to look?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:01 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

take a look at the base of your windshield, see those grates, look into them, see any leaves of dirt laying down in there?, if so, it's possible the drains down there are plugged and if you get lots of moisture, this may overflow into the heater box. seen this on older vehicles, mostly when people park under trees, things fall off the trees and into your grates. take a garden hose and pour water down there, where does the water come out? it should come out behind the front wheels. do a water test, it's simple, try all your door seals as well. something else to try, Stumper.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 PM
CF SO-CAL CHEROKEES

Year: 1988, 1999
Engine: 4.0

nice jeep