Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fiberglassing advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Fiberglassing advice needed please

I will be doing an underground project fabricating something for my Xj out of foam and fiberglass. I will be posting a writeup if everything turns out well. What I need help with, is what type of foam I can apply fiberglass to without having to worry about it not sticking to it, or it melting the foam, or anything like that. I was thinking the green foam stuff sold at craft stores would be fine.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:41 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I don't see why that green craft foam wouldnt work
Old 12-03-2010, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Edison took thousands of methods before he found the right one.
Meaning try the green, if that doesnt work then try and try again. Im sure you will be able to find the right stuff pretty quick
Old 12-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 87-99

The less hardener you use the cooler it will stay (just don't use too little). It will take longer for it to set up, but, less heat will be created in the process.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are you going to try to do?

Are you using the foam to make a mold essentially?

What type of resin are you planning on using epoxy or poly?

I have plenty of experience with glassing and carbon fiber stuff from boats and jetski custom parts I have made. Let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by azxj99
Edison took thousands of methods before he found the right one.
Meaning try the green, if that doesnt work then try and try again. Im sure you will be able to find the right stuff pretty quick
The only problem with that is that I'm very limited on funds... not much room for trial and error. I was just looking to see if somebody has already done this and has a known working method.

What are you going to try to do?

Are you using the foam to make a mold essentially?

What type of resin are you planning on using epoxy or poly?

I have plenty of experience with glassing and carbon fiber stuff from boats and jetski custom parts I have made. Let me know and I can point you in the right direction.
I will be using the foam to form the shape of my project and fiberglassing directly over it. I was planning on using Bondo brand poly resin. If you think something else would be better, please share. This will be my first time glassing from start to finish. I've done body repairs with glass before but the resin was already mixed by someone else. If you have any tips, please share.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kopecki
The only problem with that is that I'm very limited on funds... not much room for trial and error. I was just looking to see if somebody has already done this and has a known working method.

I will be using the foam to form the shape of my project and fiberglassing directly over it. I was planning on using Bondo brand poly resin. If you think something else would be better, please share. This will be my first time glassing from start to finish. I've done body repairs with glass before but the resin was already mixed by someone else. If you have any tips, please share.
Well in my experience poly resin is great if you are adhering something to it self. In other words if you are making a single part out of glass like making a cup holder or something. A lot of people use poly resin when buildings boats since its all fiberglass.

Epoxy resin is awesome for adhering lets say glass to some other material. This would be good for reinforcing something or making floor pans out of glass and wanting to make the glass and metal one.

Poly resin has many solvent properties. I know it melt through most foams. Where as epoxy resin is pretty good about most foams since it dosn't have those solvent properties. So you would have to be careful which resin and foam you use to make sure its compatible.

If you are going to make a sub box I can tell you some tricks to make one without using foam I have made one for my Acura from scratch and it fits perfectly and I learned a lot about doing so.

The best way to check would be just to try it out or google the heck out of it.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Demolition_x
Well in my experience poly resin is great if you are adhering something to it self. In other words if you are making a single part out of glass like making a cup holder or something. A lot of people use poly resin when buildings boats since its all fiberglass.

Epoxy resin is awesome for adhering lets say glass to some other material. This would be good for reinforcing something or making floor pans out of glass and wanting to make the glass and metal one.

Poly resin has many solvent properties. I know it melt through most foams. Where as epoxy resin is pretty good about most foams since it dosn't have those solvent properties. So you would have to be careful which resin and foam you use to make sure its compatible.

If you are going to make a sub box I can tell you some tricks to make one without using foam I have made one for my Acura from scratch and it fits perfectly and I learned a lot about doing so.

The best way to check would be just to try it out or google the heck out of it.
I'm not building a sub box, but rather a body piece for a vehicle.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Kopecki
I will be doing an underground project fabricating something for my Xj out of foam and fiberglass. I will be posting a writeup if everything turns out well. What I need help with, is what type of foam I can apply fiberglass to without having to worry about it not sticking to it, or it melting the foam, or anything like that. I was thinking the green foam stuff sold at craft stores would be fine.
POLYSTYRENE foam is an excellent foam to use for making a plug of your particular part (it sands very easily with 40 or 80 grit sandpaper, or a hot wire)...except it will melt when used with most polyester resins. If you can find an inexpensive epoxy resin use this foam and then you can melt it away after your part has cured with some acetone or gasoline. Or use a "good" clear tape and cover the foam after it's shaped and then you can use a polyester resin! Good luck!!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:27 PM

Seems like a pretty nice idea especially if you'll make the most out of those 2 components... What vehicle part are you planning to do first?
Old 01-20-2011, 11:53 PM

Put Saran wrap over the foam. I've seen it done before without any problems. Helps it release from the mold good too
Old 01-21-2011, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Originally Posted by JCKustoms

POLYSTYRENE foam is an excellent foam to use for making a plug of your particular part (it sands very easily with 40 or 80 grit sandpaper, or a hot wire)...except it will melt when used with most polyester resins. If you can find an inexpensive epoxy resin use this foam and then you can melt it away after your part has cured with some acetone or gasoline. Or use a "good" clear tape and cover the foam after it's shaped and then you can use a polyester resin! Good luck!!
Just don't inhale it and wear a mask if you use that. My father worked at a chemical plant for 20 years and styrene was one of the more unhealthy things there. So wear gloves and a mask

If you've ever seen a bad chemical burn, you know why im saying to be so cautious.

Sorry got to rambling again lol
Are you going to make the mold from the foam or use the foam to make the mold from fiberglass?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:25 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb

Just don't inhale it and wear a mask if you use that. My father worked at a chemical plant for 20 years and styrene was one of the more unhealthy things there. So wear gloves and a mask

If you've ever seen a bad chemical burn, you know why im saying to be so cautious.

Sorry got to rambling again lol
Are you going to make the mold from the foam or use the foam to make the mold from fiberglass?
Yes styrene in liquid form is not good for you, nor is polyester resin...or any resin for that matter...always use gloves! And if you use this type of foam get the large cell style...aircraft spruce sells it!