Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

few questions I have.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default few questions I have.

I did search first off just did not find exactly what I was looking for.

I have a 01 Cherokee sport 4x4 with the 4.0

Ok first off, I am getting a intermittent CEL. I checked the code and the first time got a few codes(camshaft position sensor, which I believe to be an old code as It is not throwing it any more). I also am getting a P0740 & P0743

Now I cleared both those codes and now its just a P0743(torque converter clutch solenoid)

But its intermittent. I will clear it and it wont come on for a day...and hour, a week...ect.

Ive had it come on both when the tranny was warm and cold.

Now the question I have about that is to tell if it is indeed the TCC solenoid, I have read to use an ohm meter and it should read between 10-13. problem is I dont know where the harness is to check, and then I am not sure which pins to check. I dont have a FSM or even a chilton/hanes yet(need to get them but money is tight)

A little back story, when I bought the jeep(month ago) the tranny fluid was brown. not sure if it was burnt, as I have never smelt burnt tranny fluid. So I dropped the pan and changed the filter and filled with new fluid(about a gallon and a quart is what she took)

Now also, something I have read is a NSS can make it throw this code too, just not too sure how accurate that is. Mine is however out of whack(no reverse lights) which I plans to pull clean and re adjust this weekend.

Also I heard you there is a way to check the torque converter lockup...but not sure how. the thread I read did not go into detail. but the guy said he checked.

just want to keep this jeep running tip top, and so far it does, just having this issue. I did notice when the CEL is on at 70MPH my RPM is a tad higher than when it is off. leading me to believe it either has a short somewhere in the connection, or the TCC solenoid is indeed failing.

Another thing I may add is there is not reciever on the rig and the PO's(two older women) never had one on it. also has a trans cooler on it. so I dont really think the tranny would have been overheated. but not ruling that out.

also thought about reseting the PCM, but not sure how.

Sorry for the questions, I am mechanically inclined I promise, I just been stuck in a time warp playing with old SBC, BBC...and stuff like that! first vehicle Ive owned with a computer!
Old 10-08-2013, 07:39 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

*Can't really help with your TCC code.

"Now also, something I have read is a NSS can make it throw this code too, just not too sure how accurate that is. Mine is however out of whack(no reverse lights) which I plans to pull clean and re adjust this weekend."

*If you haven't seen it already, here's a really good "how to" for the NSS
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-...ty-switch-nss/

"Also I heard there is a way to check the torque converter lockup...but not sure how"

*Cruisin' down the highway in 3rd (not in OD) without letting off the gas, touch the brake pedal slightly.. if the TC is locked, that'll unlock it and the rpms will rise a few hundred. Probably not the best way, but that's how I checked mine.

"also thought about resetting the PCM, but not sure how."

*With the key in the off position, unhook the battery NEG terminal and short it to the POS terminal for a few seconds. I think I read that you should turn the key on with the cables shorted as well, but I'm not sure that's necessary. I'd do it anyway. It won't hurt anything and will definitely reset your PCM (as well as your preset radio stations)

*Also, burnt tranny fluid has a very definite odor.. put some on a stick and set it on fire, if your dipstick didn't smell like that, it was probably just dark from being old. I hope someone has some better answers for ya, good luck!
Old 10-09-2013, 03:22 PM

not sure Im comfortable with touching my battery terminals together!!! any other ideas?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20 PM

Ok so I called the Crystler dealership since no parts store round here carries the TCC solenoid, and they want $276.83 for just the part.

Also the guy says theres 3 solenoids(which I knew) two have the same part number and one has a different one! I assume two solenoids are the same, and the third is prolly the TCC solenoid....

just got this jeep a month ago...I bought it as is no warranty, but there is still a lemon law! going to try and make them fix it, cause I aint got 300 bucks for the damn thing! if it was like 65-70 bucks ok...but not that high!
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

AFAIK, "as is" means "as is". Lemon laws are for new vehicles, not used. It might vary from state to state, I guess.
Old 10-10-2013, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Call these guys for a price on the solenoid:
http://www.rostratransmission.com

You can test it by crusing above 45 MPH at a steady speed and tapping the brake lightly. Your RPM's should jump up about 300 when the TCC unlocks, then jump right back down when it locks up again. You can do it in "D", doesn't have to be 3'rd gear.