Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fan wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default fan wiring

i know this has been on here a hundred times, but i cant seem to find any of the older posts that show where to run wires to make the auxillary fan into a manually controlled fan. Running wires from a switch on my dash to the fuses and then the fan so that i control when it runs. Is that even right? or is it just connecting two of the fuses together with a wire stuck down in them so that the fan will run continuously when the engine is on? regardless, my 2000 has been getting a little warm on the trails

Last edited by War Eagle; 05-25-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Mines wired from the fuse box, to a switch on my dash, to an inline fuse, to the fan, back to the battery. Works great
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 PM

Engine: 4.0L
Default help help

Originally Posted by XJ JoeyD
Mines wired from the fuse box, to a switch on my dash, to an inline fuse, to the fan, back to the battery. Works great
got pics of the wiring job?? I'm really really bad with electrical. or could you make a ****ty diagram? apparently mine has no fan shroud and and the electric fan only runs when the ac is cranked, so its really close to overheating offroad and heavy stop and go traffic I have no freon in the system so I dont run the ac. Is this even correct? Im so ****ing confused..
Old 05-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Yeah your on track.. From factory I believe the e-fan is supposed to come on with a/c on and/or when temp reaches like 217 or something. I don't have a/c anymore either so I can relate to not using it haha. But first and foremost I think not having a fan shroud is your number one concern with the overheating issue. Regardless, tap into the fuse box with a spade terminal into one of the places that looks like it's a perfect fit for one lol (pic) from there I ran that to the bottom of the switch. From the other switch terminal i ran to an inline fuse, then from the inline fuse to the fan+ and ran from the fan- to ground. I can get you more pics if you really need them, it's just borderline tornadoing outside so bear with me lol. Always glad to help with electrical
Attached Thumbnails fan wiring-image-4258157335.jpg  
Old 05-25-2011, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000

thanks for the help fellas....stupid jeep is consuming what little spare time i have lol