Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Fan pulley bearing life expectancy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Fan pulley bearing life expectancy?

96 XJ with 4.0L and 303,000 miles.
Have the radiator out today to replace. Thought I would check the fan pulley bearing since to change it with the radiator in is a PITA. Seems OK to me.

I actually picked up a spare from a jy a while back just to have on hand if needed. These items are not cheap and easy to get at the local auto parts store like the idler pulley/bearing is. This fan bearing is actually integral to the A/C pump bracket.

To my knowledge these are not usually troublesome. Has anyone experienced a failure? What kind of miles are you seeing on these bearings?

BTW, the radiator is out because it failed at the lower right side tube-to-tank connection. Slight leak on at one of the tubes. A year and half old. Radiator Express aluminum heavy duty model. Cooled like a champ, but was disappointed in the failure. They sent me a new one under lifetime warranty.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I don't even know if the bearing itself can be changed, I know I have seen replacement bearings but it will likely take a hydraulic press to get it in/out of the bracket (it sits inside of the A/C bracket like you said)

At 270k miles, mine is still spinning smoothly and doesn't grind or anything. If you have a spare that is in better shape, you might as well replace it while everything is apart. I have never seen a post about that bearing failing now that you mention it.

The aluminum end-cap radiators tend to leak, I would guess that it is contamination in the welds causing a pinhole leak over time but not really sure. My Spectra generic replacement has been great for 2 years, no issues even wheeling in +100*F weather but additional cooling overhead would be nice at extreme temperatures - the XJ radiator is just slightly too small in my opinion.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 334 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997

You can replace the bearing. I dont recall the part number atm, but it was like $20-$30 IIRC. You will need a balljoint press.

Found it. Omix-Ada part #17104.83.

Last edited by fb97xj1; 04-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I don't even know if the bearing itself can be changed, I know I have seen replacement bearings but it will likely take a hydraulic press to get it in/out of the bracket (it sits inside of the A/C bracket like you said)... I have never seen a post about that bearing failing now that you mention it.... the XJ radiator is just slightly too small in my opinion.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe because they generally don't fail in the typical (long) life of an XJ that there was never an after market demand a supplier could justify.

And this recent leak was really annoying. VERY minor. In 1000 miles I would have to add a quart of coolant. Mostly I could never see it leaking. Just smelling it. Then as it cooled it would drip a bit.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
You can replace the bearing. I dont recall the part number atm, but it was like $20-$30 IIRC. You will need a balljoint press.

Found it. Omix-Ada part #17104.83.
Thanks. Good to know.