Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

fan help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO
Default fan help please!

on my 92 xj how do i wire the electric fan to a toggle switch so i can turn it on when i want and can i do this without a relay? also can i run the switch and still leave the fan hooked up so that it comes on like it is suppose to in case i forget to turn the switch on? im new to this btw. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Gone but not forgotten
Engine: 4.0

On the driver side you will have one or two relays above the air box . One will have an orange wire on it . you can use that to tie into and still have a computer controlled fan with a manual override. You also are useing the factory relay.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:02 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4L

to clarify, are you talking about a primary electric fan or aux? does your jeep have a belt driven fan?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by RenoXJ
to clarify, are you talking about a primary electric fan or aux? does your jeep have a belt driven fan?
its got a clutch belt driven fan and a aux fan. the aux fan takes to long to come on in my opinion so i want to be able to control it when im wheelin or sitting at mcdonalds drive thru.lol
Old 12-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by xj4life2
On the driver side you will have one or two relays above the air box . One will have an orange wire on it . you can use that to tie into and still have a computer controlled fan with a manual override. You also are useing the factory relay.
thanks man. i dont have a book for it and im not much of a wiring wizzerd.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

I got a book, I can email you some high-quality photos of the wiring diagram.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by hubbazoot
I got a book, I can email you some high-quality photos of the wiring diagram.
thanks alot my email is hopelessman13@yahoo.com i could sure use them. thanks again.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Something I did to stop the overheating blues was change from the OEM 195 degree thermostat to a 180 degree. Some guys agree with this and some don't. It's a personal preference thing. If you are overheating in the Mickey D's drive thru, I'd say you have bigger problems than your aux. fan not kicking in soon enough. I have one word for the stock XJ cooling sysytem JUNK!!! and that goes for the open or closed system. In the four years I've had my XJ, I have replaced the water pump because the seal blew, and the gasket a second time, the thermostat and waterneck gasket because the gasket was leaking and to bring the temp. down, a POS OEM radiator with a CFS 3 core (best thing I could ever do) and of course the good old PLASTIC heater hose switch because of cracking and leaking, TWICE! Absolute junk as a whole. Hopefully now that I have the leaks fixed again, the system will hold togther awhile. I really really recommend a 3 core radiator, though. Absolutely good money spent by anybody who plans on owning their XJ for awhile. Especially if you will have going slow on trails. There are actually a couple company's that I know of who make a good one. Just google XJ 3 core radiator and research it for yourself. I really hope my rambling on has helped you out.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

use a relay.

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/stocker/fan.switch.htm
Old 12-02-2008, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Something I did to stop the overheating blues was change from the OEM 195 degree thermostat to a 180 degree. Some guys agree with this and some don't. It's a personal preference thing. If you are overheating in the Mickey D's drive thru, I'd say you have bigger problems than your aux. fan not kicking in soon enough. I have one word for the stock XJ cooling sysytem JUNK!!! and that goes for the open or closed system. In the four years I've had my XJ, I have replaced the water pump because the seal blew, and the gasket a second time, the thermostat and waterneck gasket because the gasket was leaking and to bring the temp. down, a POS OEM radiator with a CFS 3 core (best thing I could ever do) and of course the good old PLASTIC heater hose switch because of cracking and leaking, TWICE! Absolute junk as a whole. Hopefully now that I have the leaks fixed again, the system will hold togther awhile. I really really recommend a 3 core radiator, though. Absolutely good money spent by anybody who plans on owning their XJ for awhile. Especially if you will have going slow on trails. There are actually a couple company's that I know of who make a good one. Just google XJ 3 core radiator and research it for yourself. I really hope my rambling on has helped you out.
i agree on the junk part! i bought a new radiator,new waterpump and thermostat 3 months ago. i wouldnt say i have a overheating problem it doesnt boil over or anything like that. i just dont like how the coolant temp sensor lets it get about 220 befor it kicks the fan on, but when the fan does kick on the temp goes back down to normal. my jeep has 236,000 miles on it and im just trying to make it last as long as it can. had 72,000 when i bought it. and thats the only things ive had to do to it. these things are beast execpt for the cooling system and the motor mounts!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by championmayday
i agree on the junk part! i bought a new radiator,new waterpump and thermostat 3 months ago. i wouldnt say i have a overheating problem it doesnt boil over or anything like that. i just dont like how the coolant temp sensor lets it get about 220 befor it kicks the fan on, but when the fan does kick on the temp goes back down to normal. my jeep has 236,000 miles on it and im just trying to make it last as long as it can. had 72,000 when i bought it. and thats the only things ive had to do to it. these things are beast execpt for the cooling system and the motor mounts!
Mine has 236.5k, we're like....twins.
I might do that relay. Looks like a pretty slick option to add on. I just need to get a working temperature gauge....
It kinda has this "dead zone" right in the center. It shows up to about 90 and then it stops, once it gets closer to overheat range, the needle jumps all the way across.

Last edited by hubbazoot; 12-03-2008 at 01:41 AM.