Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Factory Tow Package Identification

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Factory Tow Package Identification

I recently bought a 97 Jeep, base, SE model with 4wd, 4.0, I-6 and automatic transmission. I plan to keep it pretty much stock to tow a fiberglass 16 ft, Casita travel trailer which weighs around 2500 lbs dry. The Jeep came from a government auction. I was told that it was used as underground utility locator rig by a water utility in northern California. The car is very sparsely equipped having only sreel wheels and hubcaps. am/ fm radio, hand crank windows and idiot lights in the dash but does have air conditioning. It also has a factory transmission cooler but came with no tow hitch receiver. My question is this; Does anyone know of a factory trans cooler equipped car that is not fitted with the other tow package items? How can I tell if the car has those those other items? Is there anything in the VIN #or some other serial identification plate in the car?

I have a receiver hitch on order and plan to add at least water temp and trans temp gauges for my towing purposes. I did a search but found no info on my specific questions

Thanks,
Mike From NW California