Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Exhaust Leak in Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8
Default Exhaust Leak in Manifold

Ok,

I just got a 92 Cherokee and have done a little bit of work on it. I replaced the valve cover gasket because there was an exhaust leak and that is where I thought it was coming from. After listening closer it sounds like its coming from the exhaust manifold. So here's the question...how hard is it to get the thing off to replace the gasket or is it worth taking it somewhere to get it done? I also thought about going ahead and replacing the manifold while it was all out but dont want to spend $200 on a new part if it doesn't need it.

Any ideas??
Old 03-21-2011, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 high output

the valve cover gasket and exhaust are two completely diff things. if your valve cover leaks it would leak oil. (maybe it was leaking on to the exhaust manifold?) anyway, check where the exhaust manifold pipes come together into the "collector part of the pipe" and connects to the down pipe. thats a common place for them to crack. if it is cracked replace it with a apn header. http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts...-manifold.html

make sure to check your motor mounts as well. when they break down the motor twists and puts allot of stress on the exhaust causing it to crack.

good luck!