Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

exhaust: glasspack vs. muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 10:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default exhaust: glasspack vs. muffler

Okay... there is already a million threads on here about custom exhaust (I know because I just got done reading them) but none of them really answer my questions so forgive me for starting a new thread, it's not out of pure laziness I promise you.

So my exhaust system broke off my jeep the other day...bittersweet because I need to drop some money to fix it, but that also means an opportunity to upgrade

I'm wondering what option would be best for increasing low RPM torque, I'm not interested in hp as much because I use my jeep for rock crawling, not street racing

So what would be better? a glasspack or muffler? No emissions where I live, so I'm not restricted by that stuff so I have more options.

If I go glasspack, I noticed that I can get them anywhere from 18" to 24", how does that effect performance and/or sound?

If I go muffler, should I do single or dual outlet? how does that effect performance and/or sound?

I've also read in different threads here both sides that I do and do not need to worry about back pressure. Which is it?

Lastly, is upgrading to a larger inlet/outlet going to help or hurt?

Thanks guys.
Dan
Old 03-19-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

This doesn't help much but, my friend has a ZJ with a 4.0 18" (I think) glasspack and it sounds like a bumblebee muffler kinda..and I don't think you would have to worry about back pressure because thats normally only with straight pipes..and large diameter pipes will be louder but also I would think(just using common sense) it would have better exhaust flow..
Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0HO

classic turbo mufflers sound great, deep toned, louder than stock but not crazy

the longer the glass pack the quieter it is
Old 03-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ericfx1984
the longer the glass pack the quieter it is
thanks thats good to know
Old 03-20-2011, 12:53 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.7L I6

If you want my 2 cents...i had a glasspack for a year or so and i gotta admit i loved the sound and it gave me some more power, but mostly hp it seems...later when i got the money i got a borla cat back system...and i gotta say, the increase in low end torque AND hp was pretty amazing, it looks good and sounds real deep like a Jeep should, and my tailpipe even says Jeep on the top, haha...long story short, both are good, but the muffler and catback system would be my choice!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the advice, I think the borla is kinda out of my price range for a quick fix, maybe I can just run a straight pipe till I can save a little more if it really is worth it for the extra torque.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dan4governor
Thanks for the advice, I think the borla is kinda out of my price range for a quick fix, maybe I can just run a straight pipe till I can save a little more if it really is worth it for the extra torque.
My cherry bomb was only 30 at auto zone! clamped it right on in a few minutes, its a good fix for the money, definitely Good luck
Old 03-20-2011, 01:32 AM
Seasoned Member

yeah, and I can get a welded turbo style muffler for about the same price. just trying to figure out which is the better option. A full catback system would be best if I could afford it...but if I spent that much on a shiny exhaust system I'll just be more disappointed when I scratch and dent it on a trail (and that's *when*,not *if*)...haha
Old 03-20-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dan4governor
yeah, and I can get a welded turbo style muffler for about the same price. just trying to figure out which is the better option. A full catback system would be best if I could afford it...but if I spent that much on a shiny exhaust system I'll just be more disappointed when I scratch and dent it on a trail (and that's *when*,not *if*)...haha
Haha, awesome, and yeah i know what you mean, mine already got pinched pretty good and the nice chrome end is now a semi circle rather than a circle...so yeah its bound to happen on a Jeep!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

i got a 27" thrush glasspack,and i love it,i hear my exhaust pop when i let off the gas,no power difference really,that i could notice but i love the sound,mine will actually lope sometimes,and i love it
Old 03-20-2011, 02:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 00-buck
cant go wrong with a 40 series flowmaster !!! nice deep throaty sound at low rpm and pretty mello at highway speeds not at all anoying . my exhaust consist of factory exhaust pipe to the muffler then 2.5" out all the way to the back i have no cat either . I LUV IT
I'm thinking of doing a very similar setup, maybe just with a turndown after the muffler instead of going all the way back. did you notice any torque gains at all?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Seasoned Member

I also just read on another forum that there is a correlation between back pressure and torque vs. hp, like that more back pressure = more low RPM torque and less high end hp, and that free flowing = less torque and more high end hp. Can anyone back this up?
does that mean that the longer 24" glasspack would give more torque/less hp and the dual outlet muffler more hp/less torque?
Old 03-20-2011, 02:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

its not true,if it was then you wouldnt see drag cars wit straight pipes,it was just a rumor that was spread so people would keep mufflers and cats on there vehicles to pass emissions and be more "green"
Old 03-20-2011, 04:49 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L h/o

^^^^^x2 ...lol
Old 03-20-2011, 06:13 AM

Engine: 4.0
Default Glasspack

I put a glasspack on mine and to me it just sounded like it needed a muffler, I put the quiet one back on.

Quick Reply: exhaust: glasspack vs. muffler