Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

escalated heat soak problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default escalated heat soak problem

so, i have a 2000 xj, i got the heat soak issue finally.. ive had it before so i got right down to business.. new plugs, new fuel injectors, and i wrapped all the injectors with 1500 degree resistant tape from autozone and cleared the code.. and its didnt help at all. and me being lower class i dont have much time or money so i didnt take care of it. it will not let me accelerate over 2900rpms ever.. cold or hot.. the jeep just bucks when i get up there and i have to let off the gas. now its to the point where i have possibly ruined a cylinder and or clogged my cat. this is gay.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The things you did "can" help, but many times is not enough for the stubborn cases.

Best bet for you is two things:

1. Cut some louvers (hood vents)

2. Hook up an e-fan timer, which allows the e-fan to stay on for a predetermined amount of time after you turn the key off

Both of these techniques have helped a lot of owners of the 00-01 XJ

But something you mention makes me suspect that something else going on.

If you can't EVER get to a higher RPM, I would suspect something else is going on. That isn't typical of heat soak.

First thing to do is to check fuel pressure with a gauge. Anything less is guesswork. You should have 49 psi, plus or minus 5 psi. Also test your "throttle position sensor". Both of those items can give you symptoms and no specific codes.

Last edited by tjwalker; 07-02-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I'm going to have to check the fuel pressure, but the weird thing is that it drives totally normal until I hit 2900 rpms.. Which I'm just being optimistic about now by saying I must be saving **** loads on gas by not over accelerating.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Five zero eight
Thanks I'm going to have to check the fuel pressure, but the weird thing is that it drives totally normal until I hit 2900 rpms.. Which I'm just being optimistic about now by saying I must be saving **** loads on gas by not over accelerating.
This is not typical of heat soak. When you have a fuel pump that isn't operating at design pressure or volume, or when you have a throttle position sensor that has a bad spot in the sweep..............both of those are primary suspects.

Start there. Good luck!