Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

engine troubles

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default engine troubles

Hello cherokee forum...
So i'm looking for some suggestions and or input on what to do... I have a 1996 jeep cherokee classic 4.0 auto trans. HO with 196500ish miles that I bought in february of this year. The motor has had a tick since I bought it and I never really thought too much of it, but I guess lately it has been getting a little louder and more prominent.

So today I took it for an oil change and the service tech said that it sounded like a push rod knock coming from cylinder 1 or 2. It always ticks, when cold, warmed up, and the tick increases with rpm's. I did a little probing around with a long flathead and the sound does appear to be coming from the front end of the engine, maybe mid to lower.

The jeep has always ran good for me... I don't have any troubles with low oil pressure and the oil has never looked milky or anything like that although it always has had a faint gas smell to it. It never really burns or loses oil although lately it has been seeming to... It was almost a qt low when I had it changed. It runs really strong and it seems there should be much more life in this motor.

It has also been running a little hot too sometimes... This seems to happen when it first comes up to temp, it'll get up to about 230 the electric fan will kick on and it'll go back down to just under 220. It gets up to 230 when just sitting idling too. The temp seems to be fluctuating a bit lately... Running a little hot sometimes and running a bit on the cooler side sometimes, maybe about 190... Don't know if maybe that's the thermostat going bad.

But this push rod knock kinda concerns me... Where should I go from here? The service tech said to take it real easy on it.... I don't make a lot of money and funds are really tight... This is my daily driver and my only car so I depend on it. I wouldn't be able to afford a rebuild on this motor especially at the moment if that's what I need to do.

Should I try to find a new/ used motor for cheap and do a swap out... Maybe get a donor xj for cheap with a strong motor? I just seen one on craigslist for $400 with good motor just rusted out.

Can I fix just this push rod issue... without say pulling the whole motor apart in a couple days? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined with limited tools, however, my Dad really knows his stuff and has plenty of tools... He did a motor swap on my brothers xj. What kinda job would I be looking at here?

I would really hate for it to let go and blow the engine... So I guess i'm just gonna really baby it for the time being and keep a real close eye on it... Anything to look out for here??

Thank you in advance for any help

Jeff
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

Jeeps knock... Unfortunately... Since you said there is no oil pressure problem then I wouldnt worry to much. Basicly if you got good pressure it means that most of your internals are doing alright. To answer your question about the gas smell it is probably blow by your smelling. In order to get that straight you have to install new valve seals and might as well take the head to the machine shop and have them do a valve job. The blow by will also cause the burning oil issue.
As far as your cooling issue check all the cooling componets (radaitor, fan clutch, cooling hoses, water pump, thermostat, etc.) make sure they are in good shape and nothing is leaking.
I wouldnt give up on the motor just yet. Hows the performence on it? When you mash the pedal does it still get up and go? If so, I would assume the motor has still got some life in it.

I pulled my motor and rebuilt it because it had terrible oil pressure (around 2-5 psi hot under load), was mixing coolent and oil, had terrible blow by, low performence, and a really loud knock.

You mentioned that your dad worked on your brothers XJ... Has he had a chance to look at? What does he think about it?

Anways let us know what you come up with!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by cmartin2112
Jeeps knock... Unfortunately... Since you said there is no oil pressure problem then I wouldnt worry to much. Basicly if you got good pressure it means that most of your internals are doing alright. To answer your question about the gas smell it is probably blow by your smelling. In order to get that straight you have to install new valve seals and might as well take the head to the machine shop and have them do a valve job. The blow by will also cause the burning oil issue.
As far as your cooling issue check all the cooling componets (radaitor, fan clutch, cooling hoses, water pump, thermostat, etc.) make sure they are in good shape and nothing is leaking.
I wouldnt give up on the motor just yet. Hows the performence on it? When you mash the pedal does it still get up and go? If so, I would assume the motor has still got some life in it.

I pulled my motor and rebuilt it because it had terrible oil pressure (around 2-5 psi hot under load), was mixing coolent and oil, had terrible blow by, low performence, and a really loud knock.

You mentioned that your dad worked on your brothers XJ... Has he had a chance to look at? What does he think about it?

Anways let us know what you come up with!
Alrite, I'm not gonna worry to much right now, but i'll be trying to put some cash aside just incase... But yeah it does still get up and go pretty good, I just installed a 63mm throttle body and 703 injectors, and does run real nice aside from the knocking and the temp issues as of current.

I did get a coolant flush today aswell as the oil change and was planning on doing the waterpump, fan clutch, and thermostat along with any hoses that need replacing with my next paycheck perhaps... So we'll see if that takes care of that.

I will be seeing my dad this weekend, he lives eighty miles away, but where going on a camping trip so i'll have him take a look and see what he thinks.

Thanks for your input... much appreciated!!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

I would check the torque converter bolts if it's an auto. They come loose, and can sound like a rod knock.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:13 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by sthon
I would check the torque converter bolts if it's an auto. They come loose, and can sound like a rod knock.
As far as I'm concerned, this should be a maintenance procedure. Just do it if you have an auto trans.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...ocking-125547/
Old 10-04-2012, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
As far as I'm concerned, this should be a maintenance procedure. Just do it if you have an auto trans.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...ocking-125547/
That it should. I hit them with a wrench every 6 months or so just for good measure.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:21 PM

I will check those too. Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jbxjhead
I will check those too. Thanks
The write-up that I linked is great.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

Good idea! Thats one thing I forgot to mention! I have seen quite a few of these threads be ended by a simple re torque of those bolts.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

196K miles, a bit of lifter noise wouldn't be unusual at all. I'd be more surprised if you didn't have any.
If that is truly what it is, sometimes running a slug of MMO in the oil will unplug a stuck lifter. Of course it may not be stuck and just be worn, in which case you can replace them, or just ignore the noise as it's harmless and tick your way to 250K miles, lol.

A deep thud sort of noise is more cause for concern. A recording would be helpful.

Agreed on the flexplate bolts. Not too difficult to check and they make some expensive-sounding noises when they work loose.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
196K miles, a bit of lifter noise wouldn't be unusual at all. I'd be more surprised if you didn't have any.
If that is truly what it is, sometimes running a slug of MMO in the oil will unplug a stuck lifter. Of course it may not be stuck and just be worn, in which case you can replace them, or just ignore the noise as it's harmless and tick your way to 250K miles, lol.

A deep thud sort of noise is more cause for concern. A recording would be helpful.

Agreed on the flexplate bolts. Not too difficult to check and they make some expensive-sounding noises when they work loose.
Lifter tick can be eliminated with MMO as stated. Another trick is to run the engine at 3,500 RPM for 3 minutes with new oil and a quart of MMO.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cruiser54
. Another trick is to run the engine at 3,500 RPM for 3 minutes with new oil and a quart of MMO.
Tried it. The officer didn't seem to care about my lifters, kept mumbling something about the speed limit being 25.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Radi
Tried it. The officer didn't seem to care about my lifters, kept mumbling something about the speed limit being 25.
rofl.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 AM

Alrite... Maybe I can try the mmo treatment... Do I have to drain after and fill with fresh oil?? I'll stay outa 25mph zones haha
Old 10-05-2012, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jbxjhead
Alrite... Maybe I can try the mmo treatment... Do I have to drain after and fill with fresh oil?? I'll stay outa 25mph zones haha

No need to drain after. Leave it in for at least 1,000 miles. You may have to do the Radi treatment again, but do it sitting still somewhere.

Use a good oil filter like wix or Napa Gold, too.

Quick Reply: engine troubles