Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Ticking...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Engine Ticking...any ideas?

I have a 98 XJ Classic...4.0L, AW4, 2-3" lift, 31s...and the engine makes the slightest ticking noise, almost unnoticible unless your listening for it. Hard to tell where it's coming from however. Once you tap the throttle the slightest bit, only a few RPM increase, it goes away. Then back at idel, it shows back up.

I just recently bought the Jeep from a friend, whom I bought my last one from as well because I know he takes care of his stuff, and it hasn't given him a bit of trouble. So, I was wondering if anyone had any idea what it might be. I know lifters can tick a little bit but idk if it goes away once you run it for a while or not (haven't gotten the truck back yet).

Was gonna change the oil and add some Lucas to it and see if that helped as it does wonders for other trucks that I have.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks
Old 09-10-2010, 08:49 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I had the same thing, for me it was an emmissons piece. I cant remember what it was called but it is mounted directly on the firewall, and i couldnt hear the noise from the engine bay. I could feel the thing ticking whit my jeep running when i put my hand on it. I tried to replace it but the new one did the same thing. So i took some thick rubber washers and some rtv and re mounted it, that quieted it down alot. Heres a pic some one posted on my thread when i asked the same question.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

try what ^ he said
Old 09-10-2010, 08:59 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Hi Nick and welcome to CF. It could be a sticky or collapsed lifter or even an exhaust leak coming from the header. You said it goes away when you throttle it so it does not sound like a lifter or it would get louder and faster the more throttle you give it. You can try Lucas Oil or even marvel mystery oil if you feel its a lifter. BTW how many miles on it...Tj
Old 09-10-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dzzavid
I had the same thing, for me it was an emmissons piece. I cant remember what it was called but it is mounted directly on the firewall, and i couldnt hear the noise from the engine bay. I could feel the thing ticking whit my jeep running when i put my hand on it. I tried to replace it but the new one did the same thing. So i took some thick rubber washers and some rtv and re mounted it, that quieted it down alot. Heres a pic some one posted on my thread when i asked the same question.

Thanks man...will do. I don't have it with me right now or I would go do it now, lol. I will take a look and repost once I see what I can see...which will probably be next Friday, as much as that sucks....I miss my Jeep!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
Hi Nick and welcome to CF. It could be a sticky or collapsed lifter or even an exhaust leak coming from the header. You said it goes away when you throttle it so it does not sound like a lifter or it would get louder and faster the more throttle you give it. You can try Lucas Oil or even marvel mystery oil if you feel its a lifter. BTW how many miles on it...Tj
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, it would get faster and faster. I have an old 84 XJ that does that from time to time but once it gets warm, it goes away. Also, it has right at 202K on it. Still runs like a top, other than the ticking, lol.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by nick2326
the engine makes the slightest ticking noise, almost unnoticible unless your listening for it
Then why worry about it?
Hydraulic lifters, theyre noisy.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Year: 1999 Stone White

What oil is in it? While the manual generally says to use 10-30, that is more of an EPA/mileage thing. After the reductions or discontinuation of zddp in regular oils, ticking on push rod engines became more noticeable.

A lot of people, including myself, use rotella T 15w-40. It's a high detergent zddp oil designed for tractor trailer engines with turbos. It's relatively cheap and can be found at walmart.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by jth877
What oil is in it? While the manual generally says to use 10-30, that is more of an EPA/mileage thing. After the reductions or discontinuation of zddp in regular oils, ticking on push rod engines became more noticeable.

A lot of people, including myself, use rotella T 15w-40. It's a high detergent zddp oil designed for tractor trailer engines with turbos. It's relatively cheap and can be found at walmart.
Nick2326,
If you run that, make sure you have a really good battery when winter comes around. It can make for some really hard cold starts.

Just make sure you check that emission piece before you start putting additives and changing oil viscosities, In my Opinion when i buy a new vehicle i keep the same brand and viscosity of oil for as long as i have the vehicle. Ive personally seen a few motors in extreme conditions have Jello for oil because of mixing viscosities or switching back and forth between dyno and syn. I would not personally run that thick of oil in any of my gassers.

Last edited by dzzavid; 09-10-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Please, don't use heavy/thick truck/Harley oil in your Jeep. Once u learn some motor oil basics, u will understand why the good Dr. says the 1st number is more important than the 2nd number and why the automotive engineers recommend 5W30 or 10W30, not 15W40 or 20W50.

http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/
Old 09-10-2010, 11:49 AM

1x^^^
Old 09-10-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
Please, don't use heavy/thick truck/Harley oil in your Jeep. Once u learn some motor oil basics, u will understand why the good Dr. says the 1st number is more important than the 2nd number and why the automotive engineers recommend 5W30 or 10W30, not 15W40 or 20W50.

http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/
Oh no, I run 10W30 in it, just usually put a bottle of the Lucas Oil Stabilizer in it as well. We have several vehicals that we run it in. That stuff really gets the job done. Expensive but worth it.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Defiance665
Then why worry about it?
Hydraulic lifters, theyre noisy.
I've had three Jeeps and this is the only one to do it so I was more curious than concerned and thought maybe someone on here might have the same curiosity that I did.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by nick2326
I've had three Jeeps and this is the only one to do it so I was more curious than concerned and thought maybe someone on here might have the same curiosity that I did.
im with you , i dont like noises either. As much as i would love to be content with "it just makes that noise" my curiosity gets the best of me, maybe a little bit of paranoia as well
Old 09-10-2010, 01:52 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Originally Posted by jth877

Wrong

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking...any ideas?