Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

engine surges and dies after running a few minutes.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default engine surges and dies after running a few minutes.

I'm having a great deal of trouble, finding answers. I've got a 1990 cherokee 6cyl 4.0. My issue is that it starts a little hard, but starts, runs for a while then surges and usually dies, if it doesn't die it will a few minutes later when it surges again. It also is overheating the fuel pump ballast resistor, the stock one burnt out and the replacement has been close. Bypassing the ballast had no effect on the surge issue. I have changed the fuel pump, ballast, and relay, no effect. The fuel pressure to the fuel rail measured correct and didn't leak after the engine was turn off, but the pressure did drop during a surge as the car died. I have replaced the front half vacuum harness and will replace the rear half just as soon as it arrives. I'm now at the point where i just start pulling off random thing to test them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what i should try next? Preferably cheap stuff, I'm running out of money fast.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Note from DJ
Try changing the fuel filter this is a cheap preventive maintains.
Probable location is in the hump just forward and very near the top over the rear axle on the driver’s side.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:57 PM

Changed the fuel filter early on just didn't list it. But to update I've changed the fuel pressure regulator, don't think it was bad but I destroyed the o rings trying to put the fuel return line back on. Bypassed the fuel pump resistor balllast with a 15 amp fuse to see if it gets crazy. But what might be the golden ticket, I've found a vacuum leak at the heater control valve. Going to put in a new one tomorrow if I comes in early enough.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:46 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

What brand fuel pump did you use?

Have you checked the voltage to the pump?

Might be a good idea to do this:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=249
Old 08-18-2017, 02:07 PM

Default Update

I've replaced a few other sensors, cleaned every ground and plug I could find, added a ground like cruiser. As I kept fiddling with stuff my problems got worse to the point it wouldn't start, then no crank. I started tracing wires. Found the wire from the starter to the relay was in bad shape, replaced it and the relay. I got crank back but still not getting fuel. Traced more wires, found the wire that goes from the starting relay back to the pump had burnt through the casing and grounded out on the radiator. Spliced it, still no fuel. Pulled the fuel pump back out, it appears to be burnt out, probably from screwing around trying to test it numerous times. Dropping in a new one today, and replacing fuseable links that connect to the starter relay. I think that starter wire was the genesis of my problems. Also the fox and hound tool is amazing for tracing wire. If this works next up is replacing the fog light I smashed pushing this ***** into the barn.