Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Sound 4.0L '00

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Default Engine Sound 4.0L '00

Hey folks,

Just passed CA smog in my '00 today!! However, i've had this noise coming from the engine that I would like to have some second opinions on. I have no experience working with engine internals, but I may be able to do whatever needs to be done myself. Take a listen and let me know what you think it could be. Sounds like some lifter ticking to me, although not as bad as i've seen around.

I forgot to rev the engine in this video, but when I rev up after a cold start I hear a rattle (bearing?)

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 6 cylinder

Listened to the video twice and i can't hear any knocking or ticking to be concerned about. But then again my hearing is shot.

Sounds like a normal clanky 176k+ mile 4.0 to me.
Maybe someone else can hear what you're hearing.

Try stethoscoping to pin point the noise you hear.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0L

Sounds normal to me as well. 4.0s are not the quietest of engines...

If anything I hear a tiny amount of valve train noise which shouldn't be a big worry. Sticky lifters might click for a little on a cold morning start as well. A cracked exhaust header can also click/chug but I've never experience that so can't comment further.

The #1 rule of XJ ownership is learning how to determine a happy noise from a sad noise. 'Cause you're gonna get noise regardless!
Old 02-26-2017, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I can hear a faint tick up top. Could be the oil just isnt warm enough if that was a cold start. The oil needs time to warm up and circulate. Until then, it may tick. Dont rev it too much when cold, let it warm up. Underneath had me thinking flexplate. Have you checked that lately? The bolts have been known to come loose. Like said, try a stethoscope. That will/should take most of the guess work out of it. You should be able to find one for around $5 at most auto parts stores. Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply. Home Depot and the like might even sell them.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Unfortunately, your video jumped from position to position very quickly, so by the time you got to where the noise was more pronounced, you jumped away from it very quickly.

Because its an easy check, the next time you start it up, check the clearance between the exhaust pipe and the frame cross member. It comes over the cross member, drops down a bit, and then on to the muffler. If the transmission mount (The metal/rubber block that sits between the transmission and the cross member) is worn out, the clearance will decrease and the exhaust pipe will begin to clatter on the cross member.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 AM

Engine: 4.0

Try checking your flexplate bolts.

I can hear the noise in the video, I have a similar noise on my 2000. It goes away after a few minutes. Your noise isn't too bad, just keep an eye on it.

If it starts to sound like this, be more concerned:
Old 02-27-2017, 11:30 AM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by fijicorey25

I can hear the noise in the video, I have a similar noise on my 2000. It goes away after a few minutes. Your noise isn't too bad, just keep an eye on it.

If it starts to sound like this, be more concerned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64lxd0z5e5c

i have slap, not that loud, goes away when warm.
how long do i have!!??
Old 02-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by nujeepguy
how long do i have!!??
If you're concerned, get a professional opinion. In fact, get a few opinions. I'm just a dude with a keyboard.

People will say that their noisy 4.0s will run quite awhile.

You have until your engine stops. Then you have an excuse to drop in a stroker engine.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:43 AM
Banned

Year: 2000 and 1998

Originally Posted by fijicorey25

If it starts to sound like this, be more concerned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64lxd0z5e5c

how long do i have!!??