Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Converting 2wd XJ to 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Converting 2wd XJ to 4wd

Hi, I'm new to the cherokee forum and i've read some of the threads about this topic but still have some questions and want advice. I have a 92 2wd xj that I want to convert to 4wd. I read that one of the things you need to get is a new tranny. Here's the problem, I have the 5-speed manual 2wd tranny and I have been looking for nearly a year and have yet to find a 4wd 5-speed tranny. I love the 5-speed and would rather not convert to automatic, but if I wanted to, how would I do it and what extra parts would I need to convert from manual to auto and from 2wd to 4wd? Also any suggestions of what I should do. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Unless you have access to a complete donor XJ 4x4, it's usually easier and $cheaper$ to just sell your XJ and purchase a 4x4 with the setup you want.

You will need the ECU, transmission, transfer case, wiring harnesses, front and rear axles, driveshafts, center console with shift gate for the 4x4 for starters...

It's a hassle if you don't have the complete donor..
Old 02-27-2017, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I will 2nd what Diskman said. Way cheaper to get a donor. I think I am around the $2500 range on my swap. I used as many new parts as I could. Its not cheap but it is a fairly straight forward swap. The only things that dont work on mine are the 4wd indicator lights on the dash and the lights that light up the 4wd shifter lights. No big deal to me.