Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

engine quite pulling through parking lot- ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default engine quite pulling through parking lot- ideas?

So I turned my jeep on today, put it in gear and started pulling out of the parking lot. About 20 seconds later everything quit as if I had turned the key off and I coasted into another parking space. Does anyone have any experience with this? This is the first time it has happened.
I looked at the gauges when it happenes and everything appeared normal.
I have 88 cheromee limited with no aftermarket engine upgrades. I did just install new autolite spark plugs after doing a compression test last sunday, and I gapped them to .035.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

check for spark step 1.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Everything else still works? Lights, starter etc? It cranks over but won't start?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 PM

I'm sorry I didnt clarify: I turned the key off, and started it again and it started up and it's driving now. So I'm not sure if this was a freak accident or the sign of a wearing part. I'm just wary of this happening on the freeway or something.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM

Test your Crank Position Sensor.

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.

Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.

The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.

Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.

You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.

If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.

Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.

A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out the upper mounting hole to 3/8" from the stock 5/16", or slot it so the CPS bracket rests on the bell housing when pushed down. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 01-26-2013
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM

And, do what every REnix era Jeep owner needs to do:

Renix Ground Refreshing
The Renix era XJs and MJs were built with an under-engineered grounding system for the engine/transmission electronics. One problem in particular involves the multiple ground connection at the engine dipstick tube stud. A poor ground here can cause a multitude of driveabililty issues, wasted time, and wasted money replacing unnecessary components.
The components grounding at the dipstick tube stud are:
Distributor Sync Sensor, TCU main ground, TCU "Shift Point Logic", Ignition control Module, Injectors, ECU main ground which other engine sensors ground through, Oxygen sensor, Knock Sensor, Cruise Control, and Transmission Sync signal. All extremely important stuff.
The factory was aware of the issues with this ground point and addressed it by suggesting the following:
Remove the nut holding the wire terminals to the stud. Verify that the stud is indeed tightened securely into the block. Scrape any and all paint from the stud’s mounting surface where the wires will attach. Must be clean, shiny and free of any oil, grease, or paint.
Inspect the wire terminals. Check to see that none of the terminals are crimped over wire insulation instead of bare wire. Be sure the crimps are tight. It wouldn’t hurt to re-crimp them just as a matter of course. Sand and polish the wire terminals until clean and shiny on both sides. Reinstall all the wires to the stud and tighten the nut down securely.
While you’re in that general area, locate the battery negative cable which is fastened to the engine block just forward of the dipstick stud. Remove the bolt, scrape the block to bare metal, clean and polish the cable terminal, and reattach securely.
Another area where the grounding system on Renix era Jeeps was lacking is the engine to chassis ground. There is a braided cable from the back of the cylinder head that also attaches to the driver’s side of the firewall. This cable is undersized for it’s intended use and subject to corrosion and poor connections at each end.
First off, remove the cable end from the firewall using a 15mm wrench or socket. Scrape the paint off down to bare metal and clean the wire terminal. Reattach securely.
Remove the other end of the cable from the rear of the head using a 3’4" socket. Clean all the oil, paint and crud from the stud. Clean the wire terminal of the cable and reattach securely.
A suggestion regarding the braided cable:
I prefer to add a #4 Gauge cable from the firewall to a bolt on the rear of the intake manifold, either to a heat shield bolt or fuel rail bolt. A cable about 18" long with a 3/8" lug on each end works great and you can get one at any parts store already made up. Napa has them as part number 781116.
A further improvement to the grounding system can be made using a #4 cable, about 10" long with 3/8" terminals at each end. Attach one end of this cable to the negative battery bolt and the other end under the closest 10mm headed bolt on the radiator support just forward of the battery. Napa part number 781115.
For those of us with Comanches, it’s very important to remove the driver’s side taillamp assembly to access the ground for the fuel pump. Remove the screw holding the black ground wire. Scrape the paint from the body and corrosion from the wire terminal. Reattach securely.

If you want to upgrade your grounds and battery cables in general, contact Jon at

www.kelleyswip.com. He makes an incredible cable upgrade for a very reasonable price.

Revised 12-04-2012
Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM

Ok thank you. Ill have to try that out when I get home and I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM

I think it should, but brake cleaner is fine to use to clean these contacts? It seems like a good idea to reinforce the grounding system.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by PsychoSMurf
I think it should, but brake cleaner is fine to use to clean these contacts? It seems like a good idea to reinforce the grounding system.
Brake cleaner is fine. If you don't keep us posted, we will never help you again. You will be black-balled. JK. LOL.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54

Brake cleaner is fine. If you don't keep us posted, we will never help you again. You will be black-balled. JK. LOL.
Alrighty! I have to wait though due to both concussion headaches and exams -__-
Old 02-01-2013, 05:54 AM

Alrighty! I have to wait though due to both concussion headaches and exams -__-
You're off the hook for now. Good luck on your exams. Concussion?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54

You're off the hook for now. Good luck on your exams. Concussion?
Yeah I got it wrestling. Got lots of headaches and stuff from it and might have maybe fractured a vertebrae or something they say, so I've been putting off these tests. I will get it done eventually though!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:02 AM

Your health is the most important thing to focus on.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:04 PM

Just an update. Haven't had another cut out so far. Been cleaning the ground contacts and am going to work on adding some reinforcing, seems to be running pretty well. I'll have to try that test in the near future. Thanks y'all.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:07 PM

Just an update. Haven't had another cut out so far. Been cleaning the ground contacts and am going to work on adding some reinforcing, seems to be running pretty well. I'll have to try that test in the near future. Thanks y'all.

cool stuff. How's your noggin?

Quick Reply: engine quite pulling through parking lot- ideas?