Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine questions

Old 04-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine questions

ok i'm very uneducated on jeeps this is my first but i'm looking for a hobby (ie. a place to hide from the wife) and to aquire some mechanical skills and picked up an old 90 cherokee it has a siezed engine so i'm replacing it and I just got off the phone with a reman company and they said they can't send me a turn key all they can do is send me a remanufactured long block now when they say that does that mean I still have to use a whole bunch of parts from the existing engine in the jeep or does it mean I unbolt pull out the old and bolt the new one and hook up all the wiring and fuel
Old 04-11-2010, 07:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

If they will send you the re-man long block, you still need a bunch of stuff. If your gonna get a new engine, spend your money wisley and go with a Jasper motor.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 PM

Do they have a website?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A reman long block is complete (with regards to internals) from the oilpan to the valve cover. A few pizzas, some beers, and a few friends and you can swap the old block out in a weekend.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Very few places sell TURN KEY engines...long block usally means just the block and head.. you will have to swap intake exhaust oil pan and valvecover and the rest of the brackets sensors and stuf...
Lots of good info and good people here to help you threw just about anything.. so dive in.. get a engine and start banging knuckles...
P/S: might be more fun to get the old lady a hobby.. matching jeep ? lol
Old 04-11-2010, 07:25 PM

oh ok cause the rest of the drive line is fine so other that fuel lines and electrical it's a complete engine?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

A long block consists of the complete block and reciprocating assy., the head w/valve train installed, cam and timing chain assy. You have to install the intake and exhaust manifolds, water pump, distributor, along with all sensors, and fuel injectors, and accessories from your engine. You then have to install it into your vehicle yourself.
And Welcome to CF!
Dan
Old 04-11-2010, 07:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Engines (overhauled or new) are sold in various states:

"Short Block" - This is the engine block casting and all of the internal parts. No bolt-on accessories (power steering pump, water pump, alternator, bracketry, &c,) no cylinder head, no sheetmetal (engine oil sump, valve cover, intake/exhaust manifolds. Yes, I know the manifolds are usually cast - they're still considered "sheetmetal.")

"Long Block" - The short block assembly plus the cylinder head assembly. The cylinder head is fully assembled (valvetrain in place) and is typically torqued in place using a new gasket and new screws. No bolt-ons, no sheetmetal (V-block engines may have an intake.)

"Crate Engine" - sort of a "long block plus," this is usually when you get when you order your engine from the dealer. The crate typically is the long block plus sheetmetal. It may have a water pump, but no bolt-ons. Typically includes the intake (it's usually included on V-block engines,) but typically doesn't include the exhaust (the same engine can have different exhaust manifolds, depending on application.)

"Turnkey Enigne" - This is the biggie, and you don't see it very often. The whole engine is ready to drop in; bracketry, bolt-ons, and sheetmetal included. It may or may not include a loose electric starting motor, but this is as close to a running engine as you can buy (by "running engine," I mean you could hook up fuel and water, fill it with oil, and kick it over.) Typically, only the exhaust manifold is missing (note under Long Block and Crate Engine.)

Most remans you will get will be either a Short Block or a Long Block (q.v.) A Crate Engine is typically a new engine from a dealership, while a "Turnkey" may be either new or remanufactured, but this is typically an aftermarket engine (that you probably got from a speed shop.)
Old 04-11-2010, 07:42 PM

ok thats what I was after still some assembly work but nothin over my head and unatainable with most everyday shop tools will there be any specialty tools i'll be needing to aquire or rent? And as far as a matching jeep for the misses she has a nasty case of the gotta keep up with the jones's syndrome so new and loaded is all she wants and I kid she's actually a sweetheart she lets me have my toys so no complaints
Old 04-11-2010, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You'll a new henweigh.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by FrankZ
You'll a new henweigh.
Gah?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

You're supposed to ask "what's a henweigh?"
Old 04-11-2010, 09:27 PM

Lol oh like sending the new guy to buy wirestretchers or off to go find a box of ohms..
OK i'll bite Whats a henweigh
Old 04-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L I6 H.O.

Typically a few pounds.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM

Year: 1990