Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine knock :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 'high output'
Default Engine knock :(

So, me and some buddys from work decided to go 4x4ing and find some mud about two weeks ago, and oh did we find mud. Anyways, I ended up hitting a muddy mess of a hole only to find myself more stuck than I ever have been. Both axles were buried, the water and mud was up to my rear bumper, and after about an hour of sitting in the middle of this, waiting to be towed out by a truck who could some how suck me out, the passenger side of my interior had turned into a small pond. Long story short, I got the truck out, drained the water, drove it home, and changed the oil the next day. The oil had quite a bit of water in it, both diffs looked like they were filled with milk, and my transmission and transfer case were filled with muddy oil.

So anyways, all fluids changed and a terrible night aside, I now have an engine knock that seems to start at around 2200 rpm, but mostly at half throttle, if I really step on it the knock wont be noticable until around 3000 rpm. It is not constant, only above 2200 or so. The knock also does not get faster or slower according to engine speed, and stays the same, cold engine or hot engine. Any ideas on what may be the culprit? Thanks!
Old 04-03-2009, 03:24 AM

mine fan shroud rattles all the freaking time, drives me nuts and also sounds like an engine knock that dosnt change with engine speed.

you'd think if it sucked water you would have noticed right away.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:42 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6 'high output'

Yeah no this seems like a metal on metal sound for sure. And i have no idea why I wouldnt have noticed right away, drove it home, carefully. The knock started right after i got towed out of the mud/swamp but i knew my starter was full of mud etc, so i figured that had something to do with it. Changed my starter, and checked my oil when I noticed the water on the dipstick. It messed the truck up pretty good haha. Looks like my rear main seal has no just decided to go, and its leaking about half a liter every few days.

Damn jeeps, love to hate em.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:16 AM

i hear ya buddy, i just found out today after washing all the mud off that my rear pinion seal is leaking, guess what i get to do today...
Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0
Default engine knock

Before you do anything pull the flywheel cover and look for a black looking spider web design on your flywheel. My brother had the same noise a motor shop told him iy was the motor but I finnally convinced him to listen to me and pull his cover and he found a cracked flywheel saved him a bunch of money. It happened to me and 9 out of 10 thats what it is. goodluck
Old 04-16-2009, 02:21 PM
JMO

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

When my water pump went out it sounded like an engine knock. Just a thought.