Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical Switches : Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Electrical Switches : Steering Column

I am preparing to reintall my new steering column into my '01 XJ and the replacement column I received appears to have been fairly weathered. To ensure that all of the electronics work properly I am going to clean each of the female plugs on the replacement column with electrical contact cleaner and inspect them all for any corrosion and clean accordingly before re-installing. Would it also be okay to add electrical contact "lubricant" or "grease" to these plugs before re-installing to increase their conductivity or do you think that is overkill?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Dilectric grease is always a good idea
Old 01-22-2013, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by OverlandZJ
Dilectric grease is always a good idea
Thanks Overland...that is the plan then.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by EeeSkwa
I am preparing to reintall my new steering column into my '01 XJ and the replacement column I received appears to have been fairly weathered. To ensure that all of the electronics work properly I am going to clean each of the female plugs on the replacement column with electrical contact cleaner and inspect them all for any corrosion and clean accordingly before re-installing. Would it also be okay to add electrical contact "lubricant" or "grease" to these plugs before re-installing to increase their conductivity or do you think that is overkill?
Do not apply dielectric grease directly to any electrical contacts.

Dielectric (insulating) grease, which is often recommended (maybe because the word dielectric has the word "lectric" in it, so it must be good for 'em...wrong), but which is not the right solution. Why anyone would want to apply insulating grease on a place where you want a good electrical connection is beyond me, because if it got between the contacts, it would actually be degrading the connection.

There are electronic lubricants on the market that can be used. Lubricants that comply with military spec MIL-C-8130 (replced by MIL-PRF-8130) can be used. Or a non-mil spec lubricant like Max Professional Electronics Lubricant can be used.
http://www.blowoff.com/lubricants/el..._lubricant.htm
Old 01-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by CCKen
Do not apply dielectric grease directly to any electrical contacts.
This. Dielectric grease is designed to keep contaminants out of connectors. Think of it like a caulking that never hardens. It Is best applied around the edges, away from any conductors.

I am a big fan of SanChem's NO-OX-ID Special A as I use it at work all the time. I've brought more than a few corroded connections back to life with the stuff. Gardner Bender has OX-GARD which is a similar idea aimed at the electrical trade, you need it when you mate aluminum to copper wiring. You can find it at Home Depot.

Handy list of alternatives: http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/antiox.html
Old 01-22-2013, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by salad
This. Dielectric grease is designed to keep contaminants out of connectors. Think of it like a caulking that never hardens. It Is best applied around the edges, away from any conductors.

I am a big fan of SanChem's NO-OX-ID Special A as I use it at work all the time. I've brought more than a few corroded connections back to life with the stuff. Gardner Bender has OX-GARD which is a similar idea aimed at the electrical trade, you need it when you mate aluminum to copper wiring. You can find it at Home Depot.

Handy list of alternatives: http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/antiox.html
I knew my post would get your attention. LOL

I use NOALOX for my ground connections. A very good Zinc rich joint compound. Available at Lowes or Home Depot.

I also use LPS 2 (MIL-C-8130 product) for pin/socket lube, and occasionally use Max Professional Electronics Lubricant. Both applied with an artist's brush.

Didn't see OX-GARD at my local Home Depot or Lowes. I'll have to check the other Home Depots in my area.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:49 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by CCKen
I knew my post would get your attention. LOL

I use NOALOX for my ground connections. A very good Zinc rich joint compound. Available at Lowes or Home Depot.

I also use LPS 2 (MIL-C-8130 product) for pin/socket lube, and occasionally use Max Professional Electronics Lubricant. Both applied with an artist's brush.

Didn't see OX-GARD at my local Home Depot or Lowes. I'll have to check the other Home Depots in my area.
Haha you must be stalking me... :P I'm serious about the NO-OX-ID Special A stuff by the way. One of the work van headlights has a massively corroded socket. Cleaned and scrubbed, no dice, hit it with the grease, works fine. The driver's side headlight connector is corroded but also has a broken pin - the straight bit that is crimped/soldered to the wire is still there, but the part that folds back and contacts the spade on the headlamp was rusted/welded and snapped off. Packed it full of the grease and it's just as bright as the passenger side. Yes it's probably very high resistance but it's a lot lower than an open circuit

I've heard of NOALOX but never seen the stuff. Might be a Canadian thing. Can't remember what Lowes and Rona stock
Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Haha you must be stalking me... :P I'm serious about the NO-OX-ID Special A stuff by the way. One of the work van headlights has a massively corroded socket. Cleaned and scrubbed, no dice, hit it with the grease, works fine. The driver's side headlight connector is corroded but also has a broken pin - the straight bit that is crimped/soldered to the wire is still there, but the part that folds back and contacts the spade on the headlamp was rusted/welded and snapped off. Packed it full of the grease and it's just as bright as the passenger side. Yes it's probably very high resistance but it's a lot lower than an open circuit

I've heard of NOALOX but never seen the stuff. Might be a Canadian thing. Can't remember what Lowes and Rona stock

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Most of the connections are pin/socket so if I can find the LPS 2, or max professional electronics lubricant i will go with those. No-ox-id specail A is next.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM

Default LPS 2

Originally Posted by EeeSkwa
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Most of the connections are pin/socket so if I can find the LPS 2, or max professional electronics lubricant i will go with those. No-ox-id specail A is next.

Last edited by EeeSkwa; 01-22-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

EeeSkwa,

I think by the looks of it you are going to use LPS 2. Good.

The best way to use this stuff (or any spray lubes) is to spray some in the container's cap or other small container, like a baby food jar, and sparingly apply it to the pins and sockets using a small artist's paint brush. This avoids making a big mess in the connector.