Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issues piling up

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Electrical issues piling up

Just purchased yet another Jeep. 98 XJ Classic this time. Near everything is stock at this point. I picked it up in WI and drove it back home in Idaho. I've noticed a few electrical issues piling up.
The odometer is now dimmed (during the day you can hardly see it). The dimmer switch no longer works. The reverse lights have gone out. LF speaker stopped working. RF window switch doesn't roll down the window (but does work from the driver's side). The electric locks stopped working after 2 days. I can still hear power trying to move things.

I haven't looked into it too much yet, but what I know so far: Bulbs are good. No fuses are burnt. My first thought was the BCM was failing. But I've realized that the XJ's don't have BCM's.

I plan on checking grounds later this evening. I'll also check the NSS for the reverse lights issue. Any thoughts/suggestions on what else it could be? Could the PCM be failing?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0 stock

Originally Posted by EnigmaRM
Just purchased yet another Jeep. 98 XJ Classic this time. Near everything is stock at this point. I picked it up in WI and drove it back home in Idaho. I've noticed a few electrical issues piling up.
The odometer is now dimmed (during the day you can hardly see it). The dimmer switch no longer works.
It may be a defective or dirty head light switch. If you twist the **** does the brightness change?

The reverse lights have gone out.
A sign the NSS is dirty. You can clean it or let it go. Eventually you may have difficulty starting the motor due to the NSS.

LF speaker stopped working.
Can either be a defective speaker or wire short.

RF window switch doesn't roll down the window (but does work from the driver's side).
If you have a window lock button that is another common issue. You can try pressing the button repeatedly and see if it fixes it. If so you can do a bypass or replace the switch.

The electric locks stopped working after 2 days. I can still hear power trying to move things.
Could be a dirty or defective switch panel... Or possibly one of the door locks is pulling the system down. Or a bad ground.

I haven't looked into it too much yet, but what I know so far: Bulbs are good. No fuses are burnt. My first thought was the BCM was failing. But I've realized that the XJ's don't have BCM's.

I plan on checking grounds later this evening. I'll also check the NSS for the reverse lights issue. Any thoughts/suggestions on what else it could be? Could the PCM be failing?
Fortunately the PCM doesn't control any of those things...
Old 05-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Seasoned Member

^^...yea, what razor said^^
Old 05-27-2011, 05:49 PM

All of those seem logical Razor. But I was curious because everything just started happening at once. I'll go through and check all of those things as well. Just found it odd that all of these electrical things would come up about the same time.

And no, the switch does not dim the lights at all.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

checking main grounds should also be done