Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issues after radio/speaker install

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Electrical issues after radio/speaker install

Earlier today, I installed an Alpine headunit into my '97 Cherokee. Immediately after I installed it, the radio was operating perfectly. Then, I installed two aftermarket speakers into my front doors with no ill effects.

However, just before it got too dark outside for me to continue working on the Jeep, I pulled the sound bar and removed the rear speakers. With the sound bar removed, I decided to re-check operation of the receiver before calling it a day. Now, all of a sudden, the receiver doesn't work, the interior lights don't work, and the electric door locks only work when the ignition is turned on and the door is closed.

I vaguely remember grounding something out when I was working on the sound bar. Could this have lead to all these issues?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

yep blew a fuse
Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Any of the fuses blown?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:14 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like a fuse issue, but if the door locks still work when the key is on, then I'm not sure. I'd still check the fuses to make sure they aren't blown,
Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 AM

I will have to check tomorrow. I'm desperately hoping it's a fuse and not some arcane wiring issue.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:15 AM

Year: 2001

I would suggest checking all of your fuses first to see if you blew 1 and go from there. And next time disconnect the battery before doing any work
Old 06-15-2012, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Default Fuse panel

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...tification.htm
Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

this happened to me when I was doing my door speakers, it took me hours trying to figure out what fuse it was. I tested and removed every fuse in the kick pannel fuse box and they all tested good. I did this probably 4 times.
I then decided to do some reading online and it ended up being the under hood radio fuse which I replaced and all was well. I may want to start with that fuse.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:56 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L 6Cyl L8

^x2

Blew that fuse a few times installing my stereo. I put a hot on a ground off went the lights.
The interior lights and stereo are on the same fuse, on mine the fuse is labeled 'dome'

(sorry for quality, cell phone pic)
Attached Thumbnails Electrical issues after radio/speaker install-forumrunner_20120614_235540.jpg  
Old 06-15-2012, 02:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by timewaterbuffalo10
Earlier today, I installed an Alpine headunit into my '97 Cherokee. Immediately after I installed it, the radio was operating perfectly. Then, I installed two aftermarket speakers into my front doors with no ill effects.

However, just before it got too dark outside for me to continue working on the Jeep, I pulled the sound bar and removed the rear speakers. With the sound bar removed, I decided to re-check operation of the receiver before calling it a day. Now, all of a sudden, the receiver doesn't work, the interior lights don't work, and the electric door locks only work when the ignition is turned on and the door is closed.

I vaguely remember grounding something out when I was working on the sound bar. Could this have lead to all these issues?
How did you install your head unit? Did you cut the harness? Was the harness already cut? Did you use a harness adapter?

I don't have a sound bar but if I recall correctly, they have a dome light which means they have a 12v feed so if you shorted something in there, that would be it. Make sure you don't have any charred wires or exposed copper in your sound bar.

...and check your fuses like everybody else suggested.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 AM

I got restless and checked the engine compartment fuse box. The ignition off drain (IOD) fuse was blown. The online diagram shows this as fuse 16, but my owner's manual and my PDC legend shows this as fuse 17 for my '97. It's in the same spot, though. I replaced this fuse temporarily with another fuse and this seems to have fixed my various issues, including the bizarre door lock problem. Looks like this fuse has blown before because the one that blew was 10A while the manual calls for a 15A for this fuse. The speakers I removed from the front doors were aftermarket so I hope the old fuse was blown while the PO was installing those. The fuse had been trouble free for the 2 months since I've owned the vehicle.

Originally Posted by F1Addict
How did you install your head unit? Did you cut the harness? Was the harness already cut? Did you use a harness adapter?

I don't have a sound bar but if I recall correctly, they have a dome light which means they have a 12v feed so if you shorted something in there, that would be it. Make sure you don't have any charred wires or exposed copper in your sound bar.

...and check your fuses like everybody else suggested.
I used a harness adapter to install the stereo. The sound bar does have a dome light and I'm pretty sure that's what I shorted too.

Thanks for the quick help, everyone. A couple people told me it would be a waste of time to disconnect the battery before doing small jobs like this. Not good advice.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by timewaterbuffalo10
I got restless and checked the engine compartment fuse box. The ignition off drain (IOD) fuse was blown. The online diagram shows this as fuse 16, but my owner's manual and my PDC legend shows this as fuse 17 for my '97. It's in the same spot, though. I replaced this fuse temporarily with another fuse and this seems to have fixed my various issues, including the bizarre door lock problem. Looks like this fuse has blown before because the one that blew was 10A while the manual calls for a 15A for this fuse. The speakers I removed from the front doors were aftermarket so I hope the old fuse was blown while the PO was installing those. The fuse had been trouble free for the 2 months since I've owned the vehicle.

I used a harness adapter to install the stereo. The sound bar does have a dome light and I'm pretty sure that's what I shorted too.

Thanks for the quick help, everyone. A couple people told me it would be a waste of time to disconnect the battery before doing small jobs like this. Not good advice.
any time working with electrial unhooking the battery is advised....negative cable
Old 06-15-2012, 06:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

There is a reason I always run new wire for stereo installs. From battery (both pos. & neg.) to amp & head unit (constant on red wire & grd. black wire) . Yellow switchable to the fuse box (works with key) And all new speaker wire. No cuts, splices, or anything else. Should a problem arise, I know where to look.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm probably going to replace the stock speakers on my 2000 XJ this weekend. Thanks for the heads up to disco the battery.