Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issue...help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Electrical issue...help

So here I am again with my 00xj

I threw a CEL 5 months back code 1391, the PCS/PKS sensor. The jeep wouldnt turn over or would stall on heavy throttle.

I replaced both sensors with Mopar parts. Replaced my coil pack. Replaced my TPS.
After that the jeep would run great except the cel wouldn't leave.

Since then it's been getting me from point A to point B just fine except it stalls out occasionally (usually when it's cold or within 3 miles of my house). Doesn't matter if I'm using throttle or not. I remedy it by turning it off and then back on, sometime coasting around 40 or less since I'm driving.

I've cleaned all my grounds, new battery, no corrosion on the terminals or the wire harnesses. I started following wires from my CPS to see if I can find any broken wires. Nothing going into the wire harness. Dislocated the 12 wire wire harness the CPS goes into, cleaned it, reconnected and my Cel went away. But then came back. For the life of me I can't get that harness to fully go back together. It'll connect and the jeep runs. But I can't get it to sit all the way together to get the orange safety clamp to reconnect.

I'm at a loss. I never replaced the CPS spindle that goes into the engine. However upon putting the new sensor on I made sure it was indexed properly with the toothpick trick. Didn't think that would need replacing.

Any ideas? My next step is to have to tear apart all the wiring and continue looking for a broken wire. This I am not looking forward to.