Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical issue!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Electrical issue!!!!

Sup guys!!?? I'm new here, first day, and new to the Jeep world. BUT not new to the Mopar world. Im a Mopar Or NO Car guy. Own a 66 plymouth Belvedere II and a 2012 Dodge ram 1500. AND now just bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 for my girl as she always wanted one, well really a Wrangler, but she said she also love these as well. We bought it Yesterday and I'm fixing all issues. I guess you can say its our project.

Ok so heres the problem. Turn signals don't work with headlights on, only when theyre off. No i have not changed out the relay under the drivers side, but will tomorrow. Also the interior map lights don't turn on, bulbs are good. The passenger feet lighting was not working, i installed a bulb, worked, BUT the interior lighting (backspace dome light, drivers feet lighting, and passenger feet lighting) wouldn't come off although doors are shut and everything off. So i removed the passenger feet lighting bulb, and the interior lighting worked like how its suppose to (lights off with doors closed, lights on with doors open). No i have not checked all fuses at passenger side, but will tomorrow after work.

And my second issue, my doors don't lock with the control panel on drivers side or passenger side. i hear a sounds where it wants to but doesn't. Also the windows wouldn't roll up or down if you would hit switch sitting in the back or passenger, but only with drivers control panel. NO THE WINDOW LOCK WASNT ON. So i bought a drivers control panel from a parts jeep, switched it out, and the windows worked from all switches, but locks still didn't. After a couple of hours, i decided to try again, and ran into the same problem with windows.

PLEASE HELP and thank you all.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0

door lock fix/window fix

Old 02-15-2016, 09:57 AM

Thanks man, Ima try that today or tomorrow.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:26 PM

Anymore help out there?

Originally Posted by Finojeep
Thanks man, Ima try that today or tomorrow.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

The wires inside of the rubber boot that goes from the driver's door to the body may be buggered up from continuous flexing. I think you should check these wires.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:03 PM

Year: 1998

I am relatively new to the forum. This may be covered elsewhere, but I have a similar issue with my door locks/wiring after attempting to install new speakers in the front doors. I removed the door boot, saw what looked like partial connections where the speaker wires split for the xfinity tweeter connectors, which I don't have like most of the 90% of the late model XJs out there. After making new wiring connections and putting the door all back together, my door locks now don't work properly. Had zero issues with them before messing with the speakers/speaker wiring. I have a bad feeling I have a short/bad ground now somewhere. Any ideas?