Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electrical Help Instrument Panel

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Electrical Help Instrument Panel

An update...my hubby and I just got done putting in a new heater core to our 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport. Yes!! Not bad for a homemaker and computer nerd! Thanks to all who helped us here!!
Our problem is now this, the instrument panel doesn't work. No blinkers, hazards, speedometer, oil, and airbag light is on. The odometer reading is available. Headlamps work as well as overhead dome light.
The other problem is the switches for the rear defogger and rear wiper. They are always on, even if the switches are off.
Please help direct us where the wires might be loose, off, etc. so that we don't have to remove so much of the dash again. We deserve a break, I would think! And, yes, we are still married after this ordeal. LOL.
Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by jeepbaby; 02-02-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

check your grounds
Old 02-02-2009, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

The instrument cluster for that year Cherokee should have 2 pre-set electrical connectors in the back each of which controls various functions so it`s possible that some but not all things would work but I can`t imagine how you could miss one as the whole thing has to be set in order to tighten it down..Those copper strips that carry the power are kind of thin so if one got cut somehow it could stop the power flow to select areas....So basically I would suggest pulling out the instrument cluster and seeing what`s going on behind it..If not there then maybe a blow fuse.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:33 PM

UPDATE
This jeep is fixed!!!
I did a combo attack on it. I cleaned the connectors with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, as well as disconnected the positive and negative wires from the battery. After 3 hours of waiting, all of our instruments are working perfectly. We now have a running jeep with working heaters!!
YA!!! Fixed the heater core and everything for under $50!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: I-6

good job.. saved ya 200bucks, and ill bet you learned somethin
Old 04-24-2011, 02:13 AM

Year: 1999. 254K MILES!
Engine: 4.0L I6 242
Default Jeep knew about this problem...

And they even issued a Technical Service Bulletin to address it. But you won't get your dealer to fix it for you unless you're going to shell out the $$

I've been totally confounded by this problem ever since I took my '99 to the dealership to perform a factory recall, which involved an airbag sensor and re-positioning of the airbag control module. I couldn't discover any correlation. So I did what a lot of other posts have recommended in re: the connectors behind the instrument cluster. Result: the gauges that were working (intermittently) no longer did.

My GPS tells me my speed, so I've been using that lately. Running over a bumpy road or making a sharp turn at speed, my fuel gauge sometimes came back on and the Check Engine light went out. Everything else remained inop - until I had an excuse to blow the horn.

EVERYTHING came back on. Oops, no, the tach and speedometer dropped off, and when I stopped and restarted the engine (again, no gauges), I did the same thing with the same results. I hear a distinct "click" under the dash near the glove compartment (horn relay?) that seems to restore the gauges.

Does anyone have an idea why blowing the horn would have this effect? The instrument fault is supposed to be due to low voltage. Blowing the horn would add a minute electrical drain, which should lower the voltage even further...

Maybe I should just shoot the beast and put it out of my misery...
Old 05-17-2011, 02:20 PM

Default similar problem

With mine, turning on the right turn signal sometimes helps. I have replaced the blinker relay. This is maddening. Have done the other things suggested, too. Thinking of replacing the PCM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:40 PM

Default Electrical

Looking for any and all help. Having electrical interior lighting problems, they will not turn off when my 96 cherokee is turned off. Some times when driving all interior lights flash on and off, its like riding in a stroblight.

any one, every one, step up.

Thanks for any info.
Rickokee
Old 05-21-2011, 04:24 PM

Year: 2001
Default same problem

I haven't tried the horn trouble shooting method, but bumps seam to do the trick. i have had to clean off my negitive battery cable and that seams to work for a few days. i'm thinking a ground somewhere but i don't know where to check. any suggestions?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:37 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by Rickokee
Looking for any and all help. Having electrical interior lighting problems, they will not turn off when my 96 cherokee is turned off. Some times when driving all interior lights flash on and off, its like riding in a stroblight.

any one, every one, step up.

Thanks for any info.
Rickokee
I had that problem too. It was my rear latch. But if you door open light isn't flashing at the same tine then I don't know.