Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Electric Window and Heating Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Electric Window and Heating Problems

Hi all,

I have had my Cherokee Orvis for 11 months now and I must say as a Jeep Newbie here in the UK it was a fantastic buy, mint condition outside and in mechanically sound and past its MOT test with no problems.

I love this vehicle because I can pretty much do all the work myself, just replaced front shocks, brake disks, pads, roll bar bushes and gave it a full service.

I now have two things which I am trying to fix:

1. The front passenger electric window (mine is a right hand drive) started to be intermittent from both drivers switch and passengers switch and it has now failed completely. Other than the fuse (checked) are there any other common problems as there doesn't seem to be any power getting to the motor? (had the door skin off already) the power lock is still working fine.

2. The aircon and fan are working fine bu the switch to change from the front vents, floor vents etc is not working air only comes from the windscreen vents. Any suggestions as to common faults here.

Appreciate any advice, Jeep Newbie in Southampton UK
Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Iain_Jeep_UK
Hi all,

I have had my Cherokee Orvis for 11 months now and I must say as a Jeep Newbie here in the UK it was a fantastic buy, mint condition outside and in mechanically sound and past its MOT test with no problems.

I love this vehicle because I can pretty much do all the work myself, just replaced front shocks, brake disks, pads, roll bar bushes and gave it a full service.

I now have two things which I am trying to fix:

1. The front passenger electric window (mine is a right hand drive) started to be intermittent from both drivers switch and passengers switch and it has now failed completely. Other than the fuse (checked) are there any other common problems as there doesn't seem to be any power getting to the motor? (had the door skin off already) the power lock is still working fine.

2. The aircon and fan are working fine bu the switch to change from the front vents, floor vents etc is not working air only comes from the windscreen vents. Any suggestions as to common faults here.

Appreciate any advice, Jeep Newbie in Southampton UK
Both of you problems are very common.
1st problem) You are going to have to pull off the door panel again and fallow the wires that go from the window motor into the door jamb. The most common place that you will find your problem in in the rubber boot between the door and the door jamb. Pull the rubber boot back and check all of the wires in there for any breaks. The normally break there from all of the times the door is opened and closed. This is where a multimeter comes in real handy since the majority of the times the wire will be broken inside of the wire insulation and can't be seen.

2nd problem) The problem with the air only blowing from the windshield vent would either be you have a vacuum leak or the blend door under the dash is stuck or bad. For the vacuum leak you will have to fallow all of the vacuum lines from the vacuum ball under the front bumper into the cab under the dash.

I hope this helps you out a bit. Good luck on the repairs and let us know how everything works out for you.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Year: 2001

I just went through the same issue with the windows. In fact - started a thread today about it.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/pow...-issue-171322/

I posted an image showing the break in the wires for reference.

When i pulled back the boot and saw the wires - i hooked up the master switch (it was removed) - powered everything up and jiggled the wires while trying to lower a window.

You have the same symptoms with your windows that i did - def. a power issue to the window if the door locks still work.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 PM

Default Many thanks

Thanks guys for the advice - posts details and the pic. Gives me a great starting points and I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Iain
Old 06-09-2013, 06:47 AM

Thanks guys, check as per your messages and found all the wiring to be OK, ran a check from the connecters behind the foot kick panel through to the dor switch and all is ok.

Also checked and have power running to the door switch, also applied power to the motor and windows goes down and then up no problem.

Motor OK
Power OK
Wiring OK

Leaves me to think that the switches have failed on either the drivers side or passenger side or possibly both.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Iain
Old 12-15-2014, 11:34 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 ltr

does sound like the door switch is on its way out, ebay might be your friend here or some of the jeep clubs in the uk as some members break them occasionaly