Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

EGR tube

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default EGR tube

I have an 1989 XJ and after installing the header the EGR tube was to long. I tried cutting it down and rewelding it but im having a hard time getting it to weld with no leaks . Has anyone run into this before and what did you do to fix it. I was thinking of just blocking it off at the header and running the line from the breather. Will this work?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

i assume you know that egr gas is very hot,it can only be hooked up the way it is. If you put it to your breather it will more than likley melt it,or worse. Take your tube to someone that can weld it,t.i.g would work. If you live in ca you could not even smog your jeep without that hooked up and to the intake,and approved c.a.r.b. legal header.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

EGR stands for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation"

If you blocked it off and ducted from the intake .... it would be FAR (Fresh Air Recirculation).

If you cannot get the tube installed .... assemble the rest of it and ask a pro to do it for you. Some minor heating/bending of the tube may be required to hook up. Particularly for aftermarket manifolds or headers. Been there, done that. However, since it sounds like it's already been chopped up a bit ... you may need to find someone with a TIG that can weld it up properly. The tube is stainless ... so a different filler is suggested (compared to the mild steel wire in your MIG).

I also do not advise trying to circumvent OE emissions devices like that. EGR adds a bit of cool "dead" air to reduce combustion temperature (and in the process NOx fumes).

Joe
Old 07-17-2009, 07:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mixed89
i assume you know that egr gas is very hot,it can only be hooked up the way it is. If you put it to your breather it will more than likley melt it,or worse. Take your tube to someone that can weld it,t.i.g would work. If you live in ca you could not even smog your jeep without that hooked up and to the intake,and approved c.a.r.b. legal header.
When I read this the first time I did not see that you wanted to block it off at the header,If this line was hooked up anywhere that allowed fresh air,it would not run due to 1/2" dia vacuum leak. Just so you know the egr recirculates exhaust gas back to the combustion chamber to lower combustion temps,which reduces nox.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4l
Default old thread re-visited

Originally Posted by Abovetimberline
When I read this the first time I did not see that you wanted to block it off at the header,If this line was hooked up anywhere that allowed fresh air,it would not run due to 1/2" dia vacuum leak. Just so you know the egr recirculates exhaust gas back to the combustion chamber to lower combustion temps,which reduces nox.
Mine is broken at the manifold. Would this been my problem with my TC being stuck in 4 low??? Low vacuum?
I haven't used my 4 low since I manually disengaged it. My part time and full time work as it should.