Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Easy to miss this.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Easy to miss this.....

i know this subject has probably been discussed numerous times, but since there are over 950,000 comments in this section, i thought i would start another thread about it, since it is now summer.....

As is always the case with an XJ, engine temperature is an issue.....i can only speak for the six cylinder, but it seems that most xj that have made it this long, have the 4.0.....
i am a guru for clean oil, and keeping temperatures down.....my jeep has never overheated, but in certain situations, it would certainly trigger the auxiliary fan.....this would always keep it from overheating, but it seemed to hover around temperatures too high for my liking....
i have big Ford E-350 vans for my business use....over the years i have found it necessary to replace the engine driven fan clutch numerous times.....there is no better way to cool an engine, than that setup.....
But on the Jeep , it has the auxiliary fan, that prevents overheating, and therefore it is very easy to overlook the engine driven clutch fan.....but i knew i was not hearing that fan, at cold start up, or any other time.....
So i replaced the clutch, and instantly the issue was solved, and, i noticed how much cooler the engine bay was staying, and as a result, the hood does not get nearly as hot. This is a big deal, as i am ready to paint the jeep, but did not want to cook the new paint!

Fan clutches age, they are subject to fatigue, they stop working as well over time, and it is always a good idea to keep it fresh, and keep that motor cool!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

And most of the retail parts stores have a lifetime warranty so you only have to pay for the part once.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992

And i think i paid $35 for the new clutch.....its just too easy, to not do it.

Originally Posted by PatHenry
And most of the retail parts stores have a lifetime warranty so you only have to pay for the part once.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Mkcurtiss
And i think i paid $35 for the new clutch.....its just too easy, to not do it.

Just be careful with them fan blades. Theyre like steak knives.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Just be careful with them fan blades. Theyre like steak knives.
Fired up a new high performance engine in a model A rod for a customer one time. I had not hooked up the tailpipes to the header collectors yet. For some reason before I could stop him he reached down and grabbed the fan to stop the engine "because it was too loud". Yep... Blood all over the shop and his freshly painted and detailed new chrome engine.

What possessed him I have no clue... This is why you don't let customers in the shop area. Let them take it home and grab fan blades if they need to...
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Fired up a new high performance engine in a model A rod for a customer one time. I had not hooked up the tailpipes to the header collectors yet. For some reason before I could stop him he reached down and grabbed the fan to stop the engine "because it was too loud". Yep... Blood all over the shop and his freshly painted and detailed new chrome engine.

What possessed him I have no clue... This is why you don't let customers in the shop area. Let them take it home and grab fan blades if they need to...
Built with blood, sweat, and tears, then?
Old 06-23-2018, 12:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Built with blood, sweat, and tears, then?
Lol... On the customer's part yes... Caused me to change my whole business policy about allowing customers in the shop. He was well known and wanted to "be there" when I cracked it for the first time and I was compassionate enough to understand this because it is always exciting and it was his Rod. But never again after that...
Old 06-24-2018, 08:11 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Mkcurtiss
i know this subject has probably been discussed numerous times, but since there are over 950,000 comments in this section, i thought i would start another thread about it, since it is now summer.....

As is always the case with an XJ, engine temperature is an issue.....i can only speak for the six cylinder, but it seems that most xj that have made it this long, have the 4.0.....
i am a guru for clean oil, and keeping temperatures down.....my jeep has never overheated, but in certain situations, it would certainly trigger the auxiliary fan.....this would always keep it from overheating, but it seemed to hover around temperatures too high for my liking....
i have big Ford E-350 vans for my business use....over the years i have found it necessary to replace the engine driven fan clutch numerous times.....there is no better way to cool an engine, than that setup.....
But on the Jeep , it has the auxiliary fan, that prevents overheating, and therefore it is very easy to overlook the engine driven clutch fan.....but i knew i was not hearing that fan, at cold start up, or any other time.....
So i replaced the clutch, and instantly the issue was solved, and, i noticed how much cooler the engine bay was staying, and as a result, the hood does not get nearly as hot. This is a big deal, as i am ready to paint the jeep, but did not want to cook the new paint!

Fan clutches age, they are subject to fatigue, they stop working as well over time, and it is always a good idea to keep it fresh, and keep that motor cool!
excellent point.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
excellent point.
I am glad to see this little quirk addressed... It is something that has been bugging me since I have owned mine. Even with a 165 degree stat these still run HOT up to 210. I am sure they were trying to reduce emissions output by making these run right up to the breaking point as to run cleaner. But the old AMC's would stay down at 165 with a thermostat rated at that temp so what is different?

I didn't really have anything to reference my head and block to when I had it off, but I wonder if the port casting in the block, head and gasket porting could be creating this difference? I remember we used to cut and drill stuff bigger or add ports in the proper places to make chevy engines and some chryslers run cooler back in the day for racing. I wonder if this might have something to do with this?

Maybe there could be an improvised head, block, gasket set up to make these run cooler? We really could use that out here in the desert... Why keep it right on the edge of destruction all the time? especially when we are out crawling in the summer. Every little bit helps in our extreme environment...

I think good cooling should start at the source of what requires to be cooled. right?
Old 06-24-2018, 07:06 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 606 Likes on 516 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
But the old AMC's would stay down at 165 with a thermostat rated at that temp so what is different?

165F is too low imo, and greatly increased bore wear results

there are charts that show engine life vs temp

I have seen 4.0 engines with +300k km, and they did not need cylinder bore

it can be very hot 40C+ where I live

The only way I can get my e-fan to turn on is idle for 30mins in hot weather, brings the gauge back from 105C to 100C

peak torque at low speed for protracted periods in hot, would probably do it too, havent experienced it since my new rad
Old 06-24-2018, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by awg
165F is too low imo, and greatly increased bore wear results

there are charts that show engine life vs temp

I have seen 4.0 engines with +300k km, and they did not need cylinder bore

it can be very hot 40C+ where I live

The only way I can get my e-fan to turn on is idle for 30mins in hot weather, brings the gauge back from 105C to 100C

peak torque at low speed for protracted periods in hot, would probably do it too, havent experienced it since my new rad
Oh I understand that... The point I am trying to make is that even if you put a selected size racing flow reduction disk to replace the thermostat in these they will still run up to 210 or more if under load. I really do think there are some head, block, and gasket port engineering designs that are causing this. Seriously... They run at that temp in weather not that hot if the thermostat isn't even installed. How could that be?

For some reason it is staying in the block and head too long...

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 06-24-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

even in 95* weather my xj would run 180 with a 180 tstat in it unless i was sitting still.