Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

E-brake weak

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6
Default E-brake weak

So yesterday I was putting the center console back into my 2000 Cherokee, and in order to get the center console back in both the shifter and the 4 wheel drive selector need to be in neutral so I had to ebrake engaged. The truck begin to roll back in came really close to hitting another car and I want to know if there's a way to tighten up the ebrake or if it needs to be replaced.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I have never trusted an ebrake for anything. Stick a brick or a block of wood (or a concrete block, even) behind and in front of one or two tires. Make sure its a couple inches tall and atleast the width of the tire so you dont back over whatever it is you are using. The weight of the vehicle should wedge it in there should it roll on you and stop the vehicle from rolling any further. If you are on a hill however, i wouldnt recommend it. Flat level ground is best. Or you could wedge something between the brake pedal and the seat. I prefer to block the tires as that leaves unrestricted access inside.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
I have never trusted an ebrake for anything. Stick a brick or a block of wood (or a concrete block, even) behind and in front of one or two tires. Make sure its a couple inches tall and atleast the width of the tire so you dont back over whatever it is you are using. The weight of the vehicle should wedge it in there should it roll on you and stop the vehicle from rolling any further. If you are on a hill however, i wouldnt recommend it. Flat level ground is best. Or you could wedge something between the brake pedal and the seat. I prefer to block the tires as that leaves unrestricted access inside.
My driveways on a hill so I have some wheel chocks that I put there so I guess I just won't trust it until I figure out how to fix it.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

if you crawl underneath you can find the wires and the cable back to the ebrake very easily. there is an Equilizer, a tentioner, 2 rear cables, and a front cable. The tentioner can be easily tightened with a wench or pliers. Sometimes all you need is a little twist.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

You don't have an "ebrake".

You have a parking brake. It is not there for emergency use. (Although in an emergency you use whatever is handy...)

It's made to hold the car when parked. The transmission's "Park" function is not intended to hold the car by itself.

Adjusting them can be a bear. If the parts don't want to move, use penetrating oil. (No, not WD-40)

When done, hit it with Fluid Film or white lithium grease.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My rear star wheel brake adjusters have been pretty useless (fixed now??) so in the past I've had to go in and manually adjust them periodically through the little slot. Once adjusted the parking brake engages much earlier and hold better.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:58 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jatoxico
My rear star wheel brake adjusters have been pretty useless (fixed now??) so in the past I've had to go in and manually adjust them periodically through the little slot. Once adjusted the parking brake engages much earlier and hold better.
Absolutely correct.

Manually adjust the rear shoes FIRST.
Attached Images