Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 cherokee injector upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 cherokee injector upgrade

Alright alright alright.....before you guys get all crusty and bash me by saying "use the search tool" or "this has already been discussed" I just want to ask

There are a series of Injectors on rock auto under the 2000 cherokee category that claim to be multi port. Would that me they are as good as say 784 neon Injectors?? I want to do something that will have the most direct swap. Without any manipulation. I was wondering if any one has tried the multi port Injectors
I even copied the name of the Injectors I'm talking about so you can see for yourself

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS FJ454 Click for more information about this part
{#4854181} Multi Port Injector
Old 04-02-2016, 07:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999

U could look up 97-99 dodge neon with 2.4L Engine for the 784 injectors
Old 04-02-2016, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

784's 99 and up 4.0 XJ's.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
784's 99 and up 4.0 XJ's.
he know that. He was asking if those injectors he looked up on RockAuto had multi port on the nozzles
Old 04-02-2016, 10:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by XJwonders
he know that. He was asking if those injectors he looked up on RockAuto had multi port on the nozzles

DOH! missed that part.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:52 PM

Yeah I'll do the Bosch 784s for $80 bucks if I have to but I see that the rock auto ones are probably built to specs and are half the price.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01

Originally Posted by E4_Mafia
Yeah I'll do the Bosch 784s for $80 bucks if I have to but I see that the rock auto ones are probably built to specs and are half the price.

Just a quick aside, I upgraded the injectors on my 2001 last year. There are a set of injectors by Bosch that are single hole, but have a redesigned orafice, that will fit the Cherokee. The new orafice supposedly has better atomization than even 784's. So I tried them. They're for 99-03 v6 mustangs and a couple other vehicles. Just as a heads up, these fit in the rail but don't have clips like the stockers. I had issues with them leaking initially. I wouldn't suggest this route.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by CR-Snow
Just a quick aside, I upgraded the injectors on my 2001 last year. There are a set of injectors by Bosch that are single hole, but have a redesigned orafice, that will fit the Cherokee. The new orafice supposedly has better atomization than even 784's. So I tried them. They're for 99-03 v6 mustangs and a couple other vehicles. Just as a heads up, these fit in the rail but don't have clips like the stockers. I had issues with them leaking initially. I wouldn't suggest this route.
Okay good to know I've heard the 784 Injectors are plug and play if I do use them I'll go that route. I don't want to have splice wiring or anything weird.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:56 PM

Okay good to know I've heard the 784 Injectors are plug and play if I do use them I'll go that route. I don't want to have splice wiring or anything weird.
These were plug and play as far as wiring. But there are little clips that hold the stock injector into the rail so it seats properly. One thing i didn't do the first time that may have contributed to my leak was the petroleum jelly trick. Take a small bit and smear it on both o rings before you install the new ones. It helps keep a solid seal. I've been leak free since doing that move.

Another thing to note, I bought mine from eBay. And one of my injectors died about 2 weeks after I installed it. I'd buy from some place that has good customer service. And don't be a dummy like me and throw your old ones away. Keep them for trail spares or at least to use while you're waiting on a replacement if something goes wrong. Live and learn.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by CR-Snow
These were plug and play as far as wiring. But there are little clips that hold the stock injector into the rail so it seats properly. One thing i didn't do the first time that may have contributed to my leak was the petroleum jelly trick. Take a small bit and smear it on both o rings before you install the new ones. It helps keep a solid seal. I've been leak free since doing that move.

Another thing to note, I bought mine from eBay. And one of my injectors died about 2 weeks after I installed it. I'd buy from some place that has good customer service. And don't be a dummy like me and throw your old ones away. Keep them for trail spares or at least to use while you're waiting on a replacement if something goes wrong. Live and learn.
Okay I'll be sure to buy them new I am honestly going to try to rock auto ones.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:15 AM

The fj454 are factory injectors:http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/STD/#/ve...m/FJ454?type=s
scroll to the bottom to see the buyers guide. If you want the upgraded ones you will need these: fj570 http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/STD/#/ve...m/FJ454?type=s
Old 04-03-2016, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

There are a series of Injectors on rock auto under the 2000 cherokee category that claim to be multi port. Would that me they are as good as say 784 neon Injectors?? I want to do something that will have the most direct swap. Without any manipulation. I was wondering if any one has tried the multi port Injectors
I even copied the name of the Injectors I'm talking about so you can see for yourself

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS FJ454 Click for more information about this part
{#4854181} Multi Port Injector
No, they are not 4-hole injectors. "Multi-port" or "multi-point" means that you have multiple injectors, one (or more) for each cylinder. This is in contrast to throttle bottle injection (TBI), which is "single-point" because it has a single injector that sprays fuel into the throttle body. "Multi-port" does not refer to the number of holes in the injector.

All that product description is telling you is that this is an injector for use in a multi-point fuel injection system, and that it won't work in a throttle body injection system. If you search for pics of that product, you'll see that it has only one hole. It's not what you're looking for.

Last edited by extrashaky; 04-03-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Here's a product pic of the Standard Motor Products FJ454 from Summit Racing:

Old 04-05-2016, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Here's a product pic of the Standard Motor Products FJ454 from Summit Racing:

Got It I just ordered these suckers off Ebay. Honestly my jeep runs awesome great oil pressure quick start ups no burning coolant but my idle get a little low when she gets hot. I am going to switch out the fuel injectors, clean the TB clean the IAC replace injectors and get new spark plugs soon.
I ordered these puppies http://www.ebay.com/itm/152026242865

should I change out the O2 sensor when installing these guys? I guess it wouldn't hurt
Old 04-05-2016, 05:06 AM

Got It I just ordered these suckers off Ebay. Honestly my jeep runs awesome great oil pressure quick start ups no burning coolant but my idle get a little low when she gets hot. I am going to switch out the fuel injectors, clean the TB clean the IAC replace injectors and get new spark plugs soon.
I ordered these puppies http://www.ebay.com/itm/152026242865

should I change out the O2 sensor when installing these guys? I guess it wouldn't hurt
O2 sensors, kind of like Crank or cam sensors, are in my opinion "ain't broke don't fix it" parts. They're a pain to get to and so many faulty ones come through that it just doesn't make else. Sounds like your jeep runs good. Try to keep it that way

Quick Reply: 2000 cherokee injector upgrade