Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dying idle at time of Ignition -puzzled-

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Dying idle at time of Ignition -puzzled-

For a visual (better than I can explain it) I uploaded the girl-in-action to youtube::

Okay- so my Jeep recently has been having this weird issue when I try to start up. It first happened about a month ago and it is definitely happening more and more often, it also is pretty much guaranteed to happen if the engine is cold- not so much if its hot.

When I try to turn her over she seems to be trying to draw power but can't quite turnover, my first thought was she wasn't getting enough juice because the lights seem to kind of fade in and out on the dashboard, but I have a brand new battery less than 3 months old. Other thoughts were spark plug, poor fuel injection?

To get her to turn over it usually works if I try to turn it over for a second, kill it, and then turn it over again (sometimes having to manually feed it gas with the pedal and sometimes even having to sit there and rev it for 20-30seconds until she's "hot") otherwise she will just drop idle until she stalls. After she starts though and its all warmed up I have zero problems and the engine seems to run smoothly.

Can anybody diagnose this? Im taking my battery to auto zone to get it checked now (though I find it unlikely its a faulty battery) and Il also get the engine codes checked, as well as some throttle body cleaner.

TLDR: Rough start, won't turnover until 2 or 3 attempts and when she does still has a low idle that will sometimes stall out unless I get her "warm" by revving the engine 20-30 seconds. (to get a better idea I uploaded the problem to youtube