Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dying Carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default Dying Carpet?

First things first, I dont want to just pull my carpet and bedline.I've been wanting to pull my carpet and dye my carpet for a while, and now i finally have the time to do it. I've got tan carpet and i want to dye it black. My questions are, any tips to doing this? Is any particular brand of dye the best? Whats the best way to dye the carpet, like technique wise? Do you think the carpet will dye black easily and look like black carpet is supposed to? I've already got a good idea of what im gonna do, but i'd love any insight on a better way of doing it.

My plan is to pull the carpet and pressure wash it and clean it with purple power. Then i was thinking maybe spray the dye on and let it set out of the jeep while i work on the floorboards a little I was thinking the best way to dye it would be to somehow dunk the whole carpet in like a bucket of the dye, but i see no way of doing that really. Im a little afraid that the dye wont color it completely or that it'll be spotty or something. Any comments or advice is very welcome here, so thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Also, has anyone ever spray painted their seats? I wanted to make the fabric on my seats black and leave the.. pleather on the seats tan. like two tone ya know? I started asking around and someone told me the best way to do it was with some black spray paint. just tape off the pleather, and paint the fabric, and the fabric soaks it right up. Anybody EVER heard of this?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not actually spray paint. But it comes in a can like spray paint, but it is for fabric.. I used it once on my carpet, worked okay for carpet but I would not use it in my seats! It came off a little if you rub your hand on it.. So I would use the fabric aerosol can for your carpet, and idk seat covers for your seats! I tried to dye my carpet one time but idt I got the right stuff..
Old 10-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Registered Users

Engine: 4.0ho

painting the seats will look like utter ****, to be blunt, dont do that.

as for dying the carpet, my advice would be to throw away the stock carpet and monstaliner, but since you dont wanna go that route, still throw away the stock carpet, and cut your own out of whatever color carpet you want.

Why? all that padding and **** in the stock carpet sucks up water and causes rust, mold etc. If jeep would have never put carpet in the xjs with padding, most would still have floors.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ladies
It's not actually spray paint. But it comes in a can like spray paint, but it is for fabric.. I used it once on my carpet, worked okay for carpet but I would not use it in my seats! It came off a little if you rub your hand on it.. So I would use the fabric aerosol can for your carpet, and idk seat covers for your seats! I tried to dye my carpet one time but idt I got the right stuff..
lol no i mean this was actual spray paint. I know the guy who did it, never got to see the finished product tho. And i never got to see him do it.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by The Blacksmith
painting the seats will look like utter ****, to be blunt, dont do that.

as for dying the carpet, my advice would be to throw away the stock carpet and monstaliner, but since you dont wanna go that route, still throw away the stock carpet, and cut your own out of whatever color carpet you want.

Why? all that padding and **** in the stock carpet sucks up water and causes rust, mold etc. If jeep would have never put carpet in the xjs with padding, most would still have floors.

I've thought about pulling the padding, but im afraid the carpet wont like "fit" perfectly like it does now.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

Try going to the duplicolor ( I think that's spelled right ) web site they have a lot of good videos on how to use the products they sell like the seat paint
Old 10-25-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Dont paint the seats they look like crap if you try to paint the seats. If you want to dye it go to a fabric store and buy a bottle of black dye. Pull the seat covers off and stick them in a bucket, put warm water in it and pour the dye in. Let it soak over night. Thats the only way I see dying the seats properly. the carpet idk your call. I still would go with the rip it out and monster/herculiner it LOL.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

I would NOT use regular spray paint on you r seat if it's fabric the will get hard and it will look like crap. I do agree with bigfltruck. Duplicolor does have some good stuff for fabric and carpet.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:45 PM

Year: 2000

I have spray painted a set of sun visors on another car before from gray to black. They looked great, but felt rough. When fully dry you could rub them with your hands to soften them up a bit, i actually did this for another coat. Overall they turned out great, but they were visors, do not spray paint your seats.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:43 AM
CF Veteran

well, alot of purple power and a pressure washer later.. I've got basically brand new seats. made them spotless. pulled the carpet, did the same for it and it looks amazing. My carpet is officially a differnt color... without dye. Also found the nice surprise of a rusted passenger floorboard and a fist sized hole in the floorboard. A wire brush and some bondo fixed that tho. Overall pressure washing your carpet and seats is the best route to go.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
well, alot of purple power and a pressure washer later.. I've got basically brand new seats. made them spotless. pulled the carpet, did the same for it and it looks amazing. My carpet is officially a differnt color... without dye. Also found the nice surprise of a rusted passenger floorboard and a fist sized hole in the floorboard. A wire brush and some bondo fixed that tho. Overall pressure washing your carpet and seats is the best route to go.
I agree, I just did this and mine came out amazing!
Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 AM

Dying Carpet?-forumrunner_20111027_055006.jpg

Dying Carpet?-forumrunner_20111027_054944.jpg