Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Dry Start. Please HELP asap!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dry Start. Please HELP asap!

I noticed about 2 months back my jeep has what i would call a dry start up. When starting up, it sounds like a very dry engine internally for about 2 seconds...my oil pressure gauge will sit on 0 and then it will quiet up. Its only on start up and has no correlation to my acceleration. I watch my oil pressure and it seems to sit about 40-50 on a cold start up. When warm sits about 40 at crusining speeds and around 25-30ish at a redlight when idle.

Another thing I noticed...I changed my oil about 3 weeks ago...less than 1000 miles. When I drained it last night, it was black and smelled kinda burned. Is this just because our engines run soo hot?

I have the oil pan off to replace my rear main seal and would like to fix this if possible while the pan is off. Anyone have any advice.

Oh and I have tried researching online and havent found many threads discussing my issue. Some that claim this say use a fram filter...which I tried and still have no luck at a cure.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 01:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Originally Posted by Screwd up 6
I noticed about 2 months back my jeep has what i would call a dry start up. When starting up, it sounds like a very dry engine internally for about 2 seconds...my oil pressure gauge will sit on 0 and then it will quiet up. Its only on start up and has no correlation to my acceleration. I watch my oil pressure and it seems to sit about 40-50 on a cold start up. When warm sits about 40 at crusining speeds and around 25-30ish at a redlight when idle.

Another thing I noticed...I changed my oil about 3 weeks ago...less than 1000 miles. When I drained it last night, it was black and smelled kinda burned. Is this just because our engines run soo hot?

I have the oil pan off to replace my rear main seal and would like to fix this if possible while the pan is off. Anyone have any advice.

Oh and I have tried researching online and havent found many threads discussing my issue. Some that claim this say use a fram filter...which I tried and still have no luck at a cure.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Wow where did you read to use a fram filter?? That'll cause problems not fix em. Your ool pump might be going out.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Seasoned Member

lol other jeep forums. They say the Fram "tough guard" is good. I dont use fram...its not even a "filter" but rather a reservoir in my eyes.

Is this a symptom of a oil pump going out? Id rather fix it now while I have the pan off...but dont want to just buy parts and replace them trying to guess an issue. That is mod money wasted haha
Old 08-03-2011, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Oil pumps are cheap. Check the pickup to see if its clogged while you have the pan off. If its not the pump you may have much bigger problems. Hope its the pump lol... oh that's another thing other could be. Make sure the.pickup is all tight to the pump. I've seen similar things happen from the pickup coming loose. That's actually more likely.

Last edited by Slick761; 08-03-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Ill check. If the pump was bad wouldnt that affect my driving oil pressure? Im not doubting you, just dont know much about the interals and the way to trouble shoot this stuff.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Member

another note...do you know how to remove the pickup tube?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Pick up should be two bolts and there is a gasket. Sometimes when pumps fail they cavitate and don't pump for a short time then they sort of catch and go. The pick up could well be the problem ... hopefully. The pumps can get excessive clearance though and sometimes when enough oil gets in there they kind of prime themselves
Old 08-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Thanks, Ill go by jeep today after work and order a oil pump and check the price of a pick up tube.