Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

driver side electric lock problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default driver side electric lock problems

On my 98 xj limited i have a keyless entry system however recently ive noticed it only unlocks my passenger side doors and the rear hatch. Both drivers side doors do not unlock. Occasionally i can get them to lock with the button but that is rare. They never unlock electronically. I know they are getting power because they make a strange screeching noise when i press the button. Ive tried to put some lubricant in there to fix it but it didnt do anything. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:31 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Model: Cherokee

The lock actuators are sealed and can't really be serviced since they are sealed. I have taken them apart as much as possible and added some lightweight lube to the moving parts. It's pretty simple to get the door panels to see what is going on. Once you get the door panel off, there are a couple of torx bolts that hold the whole assembly in. I picked up a bunch from the local pick a part one time so I have a few spares. Repalces are surprisingly expensive.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by dzywicki
The lock actuators are sealed and can't really be serviced since they are sealed. I have taken them apart as much as possible and added some lightweight lube to the moving parts. It's pretty simple to get the door panels to see what is going on. Once you get the door panel off, there are a couple of torx bolts that hold the whole assembly in. I picked up a bunch from the local pick a part one time so I have a few spares. Repalces are surprisingly expensive.
So once its off just clean and lubricate?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:00 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Model: Cherokee

That's about all you can really do. Here is a thread where I added some pics when I took one apart:https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/int...-locks-239114/ the motor and gears that make it work are sealed. The small gear that you see under the plate can be cleaned and relubed. IF I think about it tomorrow, I still have the broken one around since I keep meaning to cut it open to see what is inside.