Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Driver Side Door Panel - Lock seems jammed

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L IL 6
Default Driver Side Door Panel - Lock seems jammed

I replaced the front speaker on the driver side and was re-installing the door panel. It went back in place just fine, however the door will not lock. The electric lock mechanism is working, but the manual lock lever seems jamed up. I've tried removal & reinstalling but no luck. What is the trick I am missing? Di I need to hold the handle or lock forward while installing the panel? I tried using the key to lock the door after the panel was installed, and this did not work either, seems that the door lock bar attached to the interior door latch is binding? Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 PM
X-J

Year: 1995 2WD & 1988 4WD
Engine: 242

:Welcome to Cherokee forum:
Did you try to operate it with the door panel off to inspect the problem ?

You don't need to hold the handle or lock forward while installing the panel ?,

Rotate the handle assembly either up or down and carefully slide the handle through the panel .

A side note about Cherokee locks & latches :

if the lock is not pushed all the way into position and you pull the handle, it will sometimes jam the latch assembly
, usually you will have to rock the lock back and fourth to un-jam it .
Sometimes the latch Assembly will not work at all and will be damaged, ie. door will not open opposed to not locking/unlocking, if this happens there is a lever you can push up on to get the door open, its not where the rod attaches, but further in and at the top of the latch, without a picture it might be difficult to understand

Old 04-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L IL 6
Default 1998 Cherokee Driver Side Door Lock

The lock mechanism moves freely when the panel is not installed and the location were the door handle and lock mechanism are attached to the door panel seem fine, no evidence of bending or binding. The problem seems to be when I re-install the panel and must raise it slightly to fit into the window/door trim, then the lock binds and will not move manually or with switch. If tried closing the door and using the key after the panel is installed, no luck. There has to be a simple trick to re-installing this panel than I am missing. It is a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic and the only repair manual avialable does not really cover the issue or show the year/model diagram. Appreciate any ideas!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same problem with mine. I simply took the door panel off and bent the upper rod up and it started working fine. You may have to mess with it a little bit.

Probably what happened is when you took the door panel off you let it hang there on the rods, and you may not have noticed but it likely bent them a little bit. It is really a stupid design if you ask me.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the tip on the lock sticking if partically applied. Went home at lunch and pushed the lock button several times while pulling the door handle in and out the lock reset and works great. Saved me from the time spent and the money to replace. thanks to this forum.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:01 PM

just used this thread to fix my door lock. no more unlocking from the passenger door!
Old 01-16-2013, 03:38 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

1987 Cherokee...Right rear door, had to push the door latch button way in and hard to open door. Took outside door handle off and noticed the rod was worn off about 1/8". Ground the tip down, drilled it, and glued a screw in. Made the rod about 1/8" longer. I put it back in and it works good. The problem I am having is connecting the rods to the inside door handle assembly. I have to have the door handle assembly in the opening to get the rods to reach the handle connections which means I can't get my hand in there to attach the rods (much less see). I fussed with it for about 2 hours last night before giving up. I wonder if would be easier to attach the rods to the door handle first and then pry up the door panel and attempt to attach the rods to the latch. I'll try that tonight unless someone posts an easier way.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:38 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Adding a tip because this thread came up first when I googled the issue.

If you can't fix it by bending the rod back into place, or if you get sick of trying to get it right, just disconnect the upper rod. The outside key hole and power locks will still work, you just won't be able to manually lock the driver door from the inside.