Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Driver Door Speaker Wire(I Searched)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6 OHV
Default Driver Door Speaker Wire(I Searched)

Hey guys, just have a question, at first i thought my speaker blew but then i read some posts that its just a wire shortage or something. But all the people had pre 97's and im a 98. So do i just take a part my door panel and run some radioshack cheapo speaker wire back to my amp or.....? Thanks, Rob. Oh and anyone know where i can get an aftermarket radio like alpine or kenwood to fit iin my dash? Those are all so narrow and it would be to small for the stock radio hole. Thanks again, Rob
Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

any single DIN aftermarket HU will fit! ya need the generic adaptor they sell at any stereo store.

when i got my 99 the front speakers didnt work. but when i threw my pioneer HU in, they came to life! so, id say start with an aftermarket HU cause the stockies suck for any kinda SQ and no RCA options doesnt fly with me! i need my bass!! the wiring is notoriously bad, usually right around driver side door grommet, so an inspection of that is a good idea, for sure.

edit~ oh yea, **** kenwood!!! i tried one of their HU's and it was ALL high bass frequencies!!! would NOT drop!! maybe i didnt spend enough. it seems like ~200 is a good startiong price for a new deck... my pioneer im super happy with! only thing is i tried for the first time since installing it like a year ago to use the rear aux plug in- i got a 6' aux cable and figured that running it behind tha dash and then popping u p in the cab somewhere would be nice, but the rear aux port doesnt work! threres a setting to turn the aux on/off, but nothing!! gir. at leas t the front one works. also there ar 3 pre-outs on it which i like. and the lack of the 1-6 buttons. its just got a multi controll **** (kinda like the bmw iDrive idea)

Last edited by VTJeep; 11-27-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:44 PM

Year: 2001

Its wired for a door speaker and a tweeter regardless of wether it actually has the tweeters or not. The speaker wire from the headunit makes a "y" right where the harness runs between the door and body of the jeep. Mine had pulled the wire out of that y connection from everyday use of the door. Pull the harness out of the door(all the way) and you'll find where the wires have pulled apart. Just splice the speaker wires back together and your back in business.

You could also just run new wire from the door to your amp. Whatevers clever.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I have this radio, everything you "should" need.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...EH-7300BT.html
comes with install kit too.
as far as the radio, I just ran a new wire to the door speaker.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Scott_Sport99
I have this radio, everything you "should" need.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...EH-7300BT.html
comes with install kit too.
as far as the radio, I just ran a new wire to the door speaker.
Huh? (" I just ran a new wire to the door speaker) Lol, isnt it like color coded or something or generic speaker wire? Also where does the wire start, the one that runs to the door speaker where does it come from?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by the buddmang
Its wired for a door speaker and a tweeter regardless of wether it actually has the tweeters or not. The speaker wire from the headunit makes a "y" right where the harness runs between the door and body of the jeep. Mine had pulled the wire out of that y connection from everyday use of the door. Pull the harness out of the door(all the way) and you'll find where the wires have pulled apart. Just splice the speaker wires back together and your back in business.

You could also just run new wire from the door to your amp. Whatevers clever.
Thanks ill prob just run a whole new wire. Where is my amp is that my headunit? Also just generic speaker wire?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:37 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by scruffythewild
Thanks ill prob just run a whole new wire. Where is my amp is that my headunit? Also just generic speaker wire?
If its just the factory stereo, you probably dont have an amp. Just run the speaker wire from the headunit to the door.