Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Driver door problems

Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7
Default Driver door problems

Here is my problem. I got the thing last Sunday and since then i have been working on it replacing the electrical and fixing the windows and so on. Last Tuesday i put in new glass for the drivers door. but when tasking it abart i noticed that the railing for the power windows was crushed. I took it out and with the help of some plirers and a flat head i was able to get it to slid again. worked great. so i rolled it down placed it back in attached the window to it and put it back together testing it each stap of the way. No the problem. The 2nd time i rolled it up after having it all back together. it got stuck about a inch from the top. moter works but it is jammed on the railing. I can push the window up with that lag of that extra peacie of steal from the window mount and the window. but i can't get to it. So my question; is the anyway i can get into the door. I need it open not just have the vinal off and go through the hole. It seems like i am going to need a new power window mechanisem. can thouse be bought. Also one more question. I am noticeing the power lock are weak. It tries on all door but the nevar switch. it just jerks at the lock a little. any ideas? I am thinking low voltage. but i just re-did the battery and wire to and fro to alternater and frame. hum........

Thanks for all you help!!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Sounds like a pain. My old Mercedes had the same problem but I never bothered trying to fix it. Probably going to have to take the door apart again. Not sure though.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:19 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

Sounds like your gears aren't lining up right, or that something is loose, and either way allowed it to slip. I've had the same problem with power windows, which is why I'm not switching the power options from my 93 to my 96, just gonna save all the parts until somebody needs them. Your gonna have to take the panel back off and roll the gears to see if you can find where it went sloppy and work it from there. As for taking the doors apart, it doesn't come apart any further than what you see when you pop the door panel off.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:46 AM

I see what wroung. The railing is bent around the peice that slids up and down it. I may just have to break the rail to get the window down and replace it from one at a junkyard. But what about the power locks?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 PM

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.7 H.O.

I have a complete set of power window's I'm parting out of a 93 cherokee if your interested, would come with motor(s), rail(s), and whatever else goes with them.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by sv41878
I have a complete set of power window's I'm parting out of a 93 cherokee if your interested, would come with motor(s), rail(s), and whatever else goes with them.
Him...i got to see if 93 would work with 89? anyone know?
Old 10-17-2009, 01:43 PM

Default Door opening mechanism

After pulling apart a door to get the window back on track I put it back on the rig and shut it, only to find that neither outside or inside door opener will open the door. There must be a pin that dropped in the mechanism near the latch itself. It's an '88 Cherokee Pioneer. Anyone familiar enough with the mechanism to know what can be done?

I've cut a small hole in the liner under the arm rest, so I can get a finger back into the door, but can't figure out what's going on without seeing it or being familiar. Obviously can't get the door open so can't get entire panel off. Ideas?
Old 10-17-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by PhreddB
After pulling apart a door to get the window back on track I put it back on the rig and shut it, only to find that neither outside or inside door opener will open the door. There must be a pin that dropped in the mechanism near the latch itself. It's an '88 Cherokee Pioneer. Anyone familiar enough with the mechanism to know what can be done?

I've cut a small hole in the liner under the arm rest, so I can get a finger back into the door, but can't figure out what's going on without seeing it or being familiar. Obviously can't get the door open so can't get entire panel off. Ideas?

First question is the handles when you pull on them feel really lose or do they have some resistance. If it has some resistance then its the locking mechanism rather the the handle it self.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:53 PM

Yea, there's very little resistance. I pulled the interior handle to be sure it wasn't a disconnect there. Pulling the bar that was linked to the interior handle shows me that it is loose at the end closest to the pillar (by the latch mechanism). The exterior handle has little to no resistance.