Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Driver door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Driver door lock problem

I made a topic about this a couple weeks back but didnt give a whole lot of info and never really got an answer. I have no idea how power locks work or how to diagnose this problem. It all started when i pulled the door panel off to look at the speaker.

Its a 2000 sport, power locks and windows. My drivers door lock is stuck and will not lock. Not with the switch, my key fob or manually pushing it. The actual lock itself is stuck in the locked position and will not budge though. So the door is unlocked, but the lock is stuck in the lock position.

I have pulled the door panel off and tried to mess with the rod to see if maybe it was bent and needed to be unbent, but ive tried messin around with it to no avail. When i try to lock it from the outside with my key fob, to me, it sounds like its stuck or something and wont lock. But that seems weird since the lock itself is still stuck in the lock position. When i have the panel off, the lock loosens up and moves fine, but still wont lock. I really need to fix this as it feels a little sketchy having my jeep be open all the time.

Ive seen people mention servos and other things but like i said, i have no idea what, or where any of that is. My last jeep was manual locks and was easy to fix. This, not so much lol. Thanks.

Last edited by Keaton; 01-08-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 98 4.0 I6

this happened to me and I realized the rods were bent...so you need to be carefull and not let them hold the weight of the door panel while releasing the harnesses.... you could pull the other door panel and see how the rods are supposed to be
Old 01-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jomps
this happened to me and I realized the rods were bent...so you need to be carefull and not let them hold the weight of the door panel while releasing the harnesses.... you could pull the other door panel and see how the rods are supposed to be
That's probably what I did. I wasn't really thinking they could bend that easy. I'll have to get in there again I guess.

If its stuck in the locked position, does that mean I would have to bend it back towards the rear of the vehicle? Seems to make sense but not sure.